uv steriliser for zebra tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

bengranger80
Groupie

uv steriliser for zebra tank

Post by bengranger80 »

Hi,
I am considering getting a uv steriliser for my 3 pleco colonies, does anyone use one of these for their zebras?
I have read that they are very good for healing injuries and damaged fins, as well as protecting eggs from fungus.

Is this a good idea or just a waste of money?

Thanks
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Never owned one. I find pleco dads are better at fungus control than anything I can add to a tank. That said, I do not think it can cause any harm to use one.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I use one on my breeding tanks always have but dead eggs still rot
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Ouscazz
Groupie

Re: uv steriliser for zebra tank

Post by Ouscazz »

bengranger80 wrote:Hi,
I am considering getting a uv steriliser for my 3 pleco colonies, does anyone use one of these for their zebras?
I have read that they are very good for healing injuries and damaged fins, as well as protecting eggs from fungus.

Is this a good idea or just a waste of money?

Thanks
I use one in my wild Heckel discus/Altum angels tank. UV-rays kills anything with a DNA, bacteria, algae, parasites. Great gizmo!
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

I put one on my zebra tank when I first got them and its been running on there ever since. No problems with illness in approx 18 months *crosses fingers* :?
zeblover

UV filters/lamps

Post by zeblover »

Hi guys, a regular uv lamp will only take care of algae growth.

If you want to kill and pathogens within the tank you need a UV-C type lamp.
As a rule of thumb, most lamps lose a percentage of their luminescence and therefore effectiveness after appx 6-8 months of 24hr usage. To get the most out of them you must get a replacement globe within this period.

Be careful when purchasing these as some brands do not allow you to replace the globes and therefore are a throw away item.