zebra looks very skinny

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

dromedaris007

zebra looks very skinny

Post by dromedaris007 »

Hi,

Last saturday I bought 8 mature zebras and putted them in a tank of their own.
The first night I did't feed them. On sunday I started with discus granulat (Sera). But yesterday(monday) I started to observe the group.
One zebra is really skinny and doesn't hide in an cave, the other 7 do. A few hours later I checked another and this one was just a bit skinny.
So I called the former owner and asked what he feeded them: sera discus granulat, red blood worms, artemia and some other dry food. The last months he hadn't much time to give his zebras the attention they need. But I am not so sure of that, that is why I am asking you guys what to think/do. So I would guess it will turn out ok. They (and aspecially the skinny ones) should start eating, but how can I help them?

So i bought today some red blood worms(alive) and gave it to the zebras.
This evening I gave them sera discus granulat too and one of the zebras started eating. I guess their stomacs will grow big again?
Other signs than being skinny are not present.

What would you advice me to do?
I have 2 other groups of zebras and even a succesful spawn.

greetz,

Dromedaris
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Just keep feeding on a night, after lights out only a small amount.
Let them settle in & keep a close eye on them, then increase feeding.
They should be fine :wink:
dromedaris007

Post by dromedaris007 »

Thanks for the reply Stevie K,

Today I gave them discus granular, artemia and some tetra Min flackes.
Slowly I am starting to believe they will be ok. Tonight I saw the skinny one on the blue filter. But when I touched the glass he moved quickly towards the lower area. The reactions seem ok, now hopefully he starts eating. The other zebs seem ok too; the moment I give them to eat, they start do the 'dog'thing with their tails as if they say to me: thanks for the food, now leave us alone! :twisted:

I'll let you guys know who the story ends.

Greetings,

Dromedaris
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Could you please put your location in your profile? It helps us keep the information we give accurate for your area of the world.

You don't mention how warm you're keeping the fish? I know mine definitely condition faster in warmer water. Just not sure if that will apply for you ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
dromedaris007

Post by dromedaris007 »

Hi Barbie,

so far no casualties in my new zebragroup. I assume that when they are still alive in 3 weeks, I can assume the group is healthy?...
I have them on 29 degrees at the moment. They were for the last weeks with the former owner at 26 to stop the breedingproces.

I will ad my location(Belgium).

greetings,

dromedaris