Help with Spawning

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
lora
Groupie

Help with Spawning

Post by lora »

Last year my Zebra's started spawning for the first time. They bred successfully every 3 weeks or so, at least 10 times. After a long break, they've started again, but this time things are different. The eggs seem to be disappearing. I have found the odd one in the tank, and have put it in a breeding trap where it has hatched into a wiggler, so I'm thinking at least some of them are fertile, so why is the male kicking them out of the cave. Nothing has changed in the tank from last year to this year as far as water conditions and their care. This has happened 4 times already, and it has me very frustrated. I'm tempted to remove the eggs next time they spawn and place them in a breeding trap, but I'd rather the male did his job. Does anyone have any thoughts?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Here are a few questions to get things going.

How large is the tank?

How many zebras do you have in the tank?

How many males are in the tank?

I'm wondering if it could be competing males causing some problems now.
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

i take it all water values are the same as with previous spawn
Steve.
lora
Groupie

Post by lora »

I have them in a 60 gallon tank, 2 adult males and 2 adult females. I have never seen the males fight, they pretty much stay in their caves until dark. One of the pair is breeding, the other pair never has. Nothing has changed in the tank as far as parameters, water changes or feeding. There are also about 20, year old fry in the tank.