Four zebs spawn in one cave?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Hypzebra46

Four zebs spawn in one cave?

Post by Hypzebra46 »

Hi,

I have four adult zebra that is in a cave, one is for sure an male and the rest is two females and tha last one could be a male or female.

It seems like they want to spawn, but they are four zebs in the cave, is this normal?

I see one zeb trying to swim out and then swim in the cave again (I think is a female) and the other one try to stop her and swin in again.

What can I do? I dont want to end up with zebs that are traped and then die.

All answears are thankful

Regards

Hypzebra46
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Are these adult fish? if they are young fish they will be happily squishing together to feel safe and happy.
How big is your cave? you need to add more than 1 cave to your tank for them to breed happily as adults it will cut down on terrritory fights
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Hypzebra46

Post by Hypzebra46 »

They are all adults. And I have two caves about 1,2 inches wide and 3,9 inches long and they all four are hiding in one cave.

I never read about one male with three females anywhere, but can it be
possible that the male made all three females lay eggs and then he fertilis
them?
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Hypzebra46

This has never happened to me before and if it did I would not let it carry on as its not worth loosing or damaging fish and they possibly have not got the room to spawn properly with them all in there.Think about it how can he fertilize eggs at the back and kick out the right female in order that spawns while keeping the eggs safe it an't going to happen. What you have is a recipe for disaster. IMO Probably your best bet is if you can remove all of them and provide at least 1 cave per zeb( if not other hiding places) and let them start over again.If you can't do that keep a very good eye on it and hope. :wink:

Hope it helps Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I am not being funny but 4 full grown zebs would not fit is a small cave :)
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk