THEY DID IT! THEY DID IT!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

Hmm seems that KH, GH and TDS all seem to be about the same thing - softness of the water. But I've never had anything to do with TDS, only GH. Be good to know exactly how the changes you made to TDS equate to changes in GH, perhaps someone around here knows?

BTW, how long do the almond leaves take to lower the PH, say a full 1.0?
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

I'm intersted in the math you were talking about to do the TDS changes. Is it just simple ratios - X gallons at a TDS of Y, want to get to X gallons at a TDS of Z? I assume the same rules apply with increasing the TDS as well, correct? When you do the first TDS drop do you try to go from 600 to 100 in 1 water change? Any information you send is VERY much appreciated....I've looked all over this forum (and others) and can't find the rainy season tactics coherently stated or a single spot. This is a great thread!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

All your hard work and patience have paid off for you and you deserve it a big congratulations to you my friend well done.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Thanks Jo's Zebs! :D

Mistern: No I do not drop it from 600 to 100 in one water change. That would be a VERY large water change to get that type of swing. I usually dont go past a 40% water change each time so it takes about a full week to get down to 100. The first few cuts are easy to do but once you get down to around 200-250, the drops aren't as signinficant per water change. Sometimes I use RO water once the TDS gets to this level to make it easier to get to 100.

The math is fairly simple...

Tank water: 500 TDS
New water: 40 TDS
Water change: 20%

To predict the TDS of the water after the water change you would simply do 4x500 plus 40 divided by 5 - After the water change you should be at about 408 TDS. It's a weighted average of the TDS levels to get at what your tank water will be after the water change. By doing this type of calculation, you can plan on how many days it will take you to drop to 100 TDS and how much water you need to change each day to get there. It doesn't need to be exactly the same everyday but I do try to get there in 7 days.

The TDS increase I use is a lot more gradual. I raise it back up over a course of about 2-3 weeks.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

GlockFu -

I follow the weighted average concept - that is what I was trying to articulate (poorly!).

Now here are my next questions - during "dry season" when raising TDS - I assume you do not top off the tank due to evaporative loss? I live in Arizona (desert) so that might be tricky.

Next, whay day of the rainy season did yours spawn? What happens if during the 2 day of water changes there is a spwan, do you continue to complete the water changes until the TDS reaches 100?

Lastly, I think I have some good slate caves - the right dimensions and the males like to hang out and explore them. BUT, where can I find ones of the magical clay caves - I MUST give one a try!

Thanks again for all your help!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...