zebra frys questions???

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
eric tiu
Forum Follower

zebra frys questions???

Post by eric tiu »

Hi fellow zebra lovers, i am quite new with my zebra and have some questions to ask from our resident zebra experts.

i have 2 tanks that is dedicated to zebra only and i had notice that one of the tanks have 3 small zebras (my avatar) roaming around the left area cave and i had notice 1 egg with tail that had been evicted from the right side cave and after gathering some important info, i removed the egg and placed it in an fry trap, but unfortunately the egg developed fungus and died. i look for the 3 babies this afternoon but unfortunately i found one only. what happen to the 2, i really dont understand.

this afternoon i cleaned both of the zebra dedicated tanks looking for my 3 lost frys and found one only, but surprise surprise i found 5 babies on the other bigger tank, 3 roaming within the left side cave and 2 inside the next door cave. i am wandering if the next door cave resident will eat the babies or not?

thanks in advance!!!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have seen little evidence that adults eat babies. However, the babies are expert hiders. When I break down my breeder tank every few months I always prepare a large container with an airstone and heater. All the tank contents are moved to it.

There has yet to be a single instance in which I did not find at least one fry (but nomally more) in the bottom of the container when I reassemble the tank. They usually ride over inside the wood or other decor I moved back and forth.

In pulling eggs found outside a cave it is important to insure there is good circulation through the breedertrap to help prevent fungus.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

As above fry will hide anywhere they can squeeze into they can fit into some tiny tiny gaps
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

ok, thanks for the information!! :idea:

by the way, do we need to feed the frys something special like newly hatched brines shrimp or microworms? :roll:

thanks again in advance.. :wink:
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Any food you feed your adults but crushed really small but avoid frozen whole bloodworm it can choke small fry.
eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

thanks, it means i have to stop feeding them bloodworms, because i feed them bloodworms most of the time... :cry:
eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

hard to take quality pic when is it so dark and flash will only be reflected back when used...

eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

another cave with 2 survivors.....

Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I can see they so cute I have some that size at the moment also frozen cyclops is a good food for them also if you can get it.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I can see they sooooooo cute I have some that size at the moment also frozen cyclops is a good food for them also if you can get it.
eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

yes so cute and cuddly, i dont think we have frozen cyclopes here, maybe frozen brineshrimps... :roll:
eric tiu
Forum Follower

Post by eric tiu »

newly found 2 evictee, they have been in the trap for 4 days already and are developing nicely...
thanks to all the help i got!!! :wink: