Spawn 3 maybe spawn No4 as well in same cave!!!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Spawn 3 maybe spawn No4 as well in same cave!!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
sorry this is so long but all is relevant.

It seems that I am on this site quite a lot at the moment,but all was (what I thought)under control,I have 4 zebs looks like 2 male 2 female and the alpha male breeds only(with both females).First spawn about 2 months ago with zeb female 1(over night in cave) then 2 weeks after thet aprox spawned with zeb 2(in cave for 3 days spawn 2)2 weeks have passed .At this point I have ordered new grow out tank for babies which as of today I have set up now and getting water peramiters same as breeding tank. OK to this point.Male looking after fry 2 died all other 11 ok .Then 3 days ago alpha male in cave with zeb 1 (over night as before)took pic and confirmed eggs in back of cave in morn (spawn3).Sill OK to this point as I was going to remove the cave,the alpha male and the eggs to new tank once safe to do so.To my shock I took a pic for egg update as it has been 3 days and the alpha male is in the cave with FEMALE AGAIN,only been over night.Please could anyone experienced confirm that it is still good idea to remove the cave when this last female has left or do I leave them in the tank and hope they will be ok.My tank is 2 foot x 12 iches x16 inches of water volume only.

Thanks for taking time to read this :)

Jerry
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I would leave them all in the tank as it will upset what appears to be working well just watch your water quality with all the fry in the one tank with the adults, I used to move my alpha male cave eggs and all into a separate tank I now just use a large fry trap in the main tank will find you some pictures it fits the male and cave in as soon as he has ejected all the fry from the cave he goes back in the main tank I think it is less stressful than putting him in another tank.
A fry grow out tank is a good idea I use one with my L260, L201s when there gets too many as there tanks are not massive also

Breeding trap picture
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/album_p ... pic_id=227[/img]
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Jo's zebs

Thanks For your reply.

I will leave them in the tank at the moment as they are see how it goes. My main concern is for the health of the alpha male he has been looking after eggs,fry for about 4 weeks almost non stop does he need a rest from it all?.My daily routine is to siphon out all food not eaten and replacing it with fresh water and ro mix this is done after a ph,gh,kh water test to keep water in best condition that is possible I also add a vitamin supplement to the water to help. My traps are the ones that float and will not hold the weight of the cave.Will the alpha male be ok if left as he is ?.

Thanks Jerry
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi
They should be ok you have a good routine going on, don't worry about the male needing a rest if his is not up to the job he will not breed I remember last year my alpha male had fry of various ages all year long and was just fine I also felt sorry for him.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Thanks

Just bit of update I can't work out what has happened but the second female left the cave 2 days ago and I know before he had some eggs that should be wringers by now but when I took pic today they look like good eggs but not hatched yet !. Now that means one of two or three things,1.he is sitting on 2 batches of eggs(as the first batch would be aprox 5 days old and wrigglers)or 2. maybe the second spawning took place and the female eaten(or him)the other eggs and replaced them with hers !!!,or 3. none of the eggs are any good and he has not removed them yet.Anybody know if this is possible.I have not found any eggs outside the cave or in the tank at all since both spaws and also no wrigglers.Any ideas?

Thanks Jerry

Pic taken today not very clear.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Thanks once again for all your sound advice and to update that yesterday alpha male kicked out 3 wrigglers 2 dead the other I have got in breeder trap and is doing well . Today I checked in the cave and there is 5 to 6 wrigglers all seems ok and now to my calculations (day10) I think spawn 4 did not take place but I am very happy with the outcome. :D

Tanks Jerry
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Wonderful news :D there will be more once they have started :lol: