Patience is a virtue

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Heliophobe
Groupie

Patience is a virtue

Post by Heliophobe »

After obtaining a small young colony I knew I was in for a long wait to get to breeding age. And I waited.....and waited. As it turned out I got a kick start when I was able to purchase another more mature colony which had successfully bred.

I set up my tank......and waited. I knew not to disturb them much and I didn't. I had gotten them about the time they typically bred for my friend so I knew the chances they would be comfy enough in their new home to breed last year was slim. This year, I also waited and waited until I had no choice but to move the tank due to home renovations. I wanted them as far away from it as possible.

My tank had slate caves and some other various caves. I carefully began breaking down the tank and the big male was in the rectangular slate cave. Rather than disturb him, I took him out in the cave. I searched everywhere, "just in case", carefully and methodically. I was certain i found everyone with no baby surprises.

As I was setting the tank back up I checked on the zebras and saw a little "odd" movement in the slate cave. Turns out I had not seen (4) fry that must have been hidden behind the male when I checked previously. My guess is he male bred with a younger female. I am SOO happy I just took the whole cave out rather than trying to get him out of there.

Anyway, that's just my luck. Finally after years of waiting I get them to breed when I have to move the tank. The good news is they are all alive and well and handled the transfer with no issues. I think I'll keep the tank where it is for a while and hold off renovating that area.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Congrats! Now it worth all your patience. :D
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

They are at it again!!! I hadn't set up the cave where I wanted yet but I guess it didn't matter. And better yet, I can see in. I feel like a perv but I have night vision video recording. Not great quality but maybe I'll catch something interesting.
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

She's gone and he's guarding eggs!!
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Congratulations I bet you are chuffed to bits :) :)
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

That's awesome! Congratulations :). My male currently has someone trapped, but he has seemed to forget what to do with a girl when you get her in your cave, I think. Glad to hear your male definitely has it figured out!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

He sure has. The first batch was actually 8, not 4. The second is 10 or 11. And as luck would have it, before the 2nd batch even left the cave he was at it again. More eggs last night!!
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

So how long did you have to be patient...?

I got my zebras when they were 4-8 months old and have had them for 2.5 years now...and I'm still "patiently" waiting!
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
Heliophobe
Groupie

Post by Heliophobe »

I waited for 2.5-3 years. One breeder in my area seem to get fry from August to december for the past few years. I got my first batch at the end of November and I'm on my 4th batch as of last week.

The fall was milder and this winter has been a bit harsher than the past few years. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have no idea.

You may have missed this season but next season may be your time. Mine "practiced" last year and succeeded this year.