L46 in a planted tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Addict
Forum Follower

L46 in a planted tank

Post by Addict »

Hello everyone!

I have no experience whatsoever with keeping L46 but I've red loads of articles etc about these fish, because I'd like to keep some in my planted tank.

The tank is 400Liter (don't know in gallons, soz) and it has 7 discus in it already.
To keep my plants in optimal conditions I add CO² (not much about 15mg/l). My water conditions would be perfect for the zebras, but the only thing that's theoreticly "wrong" is the amount of oxygen in my tank. Because I add CO² I can't add an airstone; it would chase the CO² out of the water. My oxigen level is +/- 4 mg/l and I change 1/3 of my water weekly.
I have 2 filters; 1 external (1200l/hour) and 1 internal (600l/hour).

So I'd like to ask you people here to give me some advice. I'll also add a pic of my tank to give you an impression:

I forgot to mention I wanted to start with 3 L46 and if everything goes well I'd like to add 3 more.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Unsure to be honest, but another problem maybe the fact you need bright lights to keep your plants alive, zebs like dark hidey holes and not bright light, these fish in the wild, live 30 metres down, wheres its very dark and little light ever hits them.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I can see another problem when comes to feeding. zebs are not agressive eater and they have better chance to find food in a smaller space. I keep 4-5 zebs in 100L tank.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Addict
Forum Follower

Post by Addict »

twinspots_goby wrote:I can see another problem when comes to feeding. zebs are not agressive eater and they have better chance to find food in a smaller space. I keep 4-5 zebs in 100L tank.
I will feed when the lights go out.
Addict
Forum Follower

Post by Addict »

I_Need_Zebras wrote:Unsure to be honest, but another problem maybe the fact you need bright lights to keep your plants alive, zebs like dark hidey holes and not bright light, these fish in the wild, live 30 metres down, wheres its very dark and little light ever hits them.
I have several holes in the tank wheire they can hide.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Addict wrote:
twinspots_goby wrote:I can see another problem when comes to feeding. zebs are not agressive eater and they have better chance to find food in a smaller space. I keep 4-5 zebs in 100L tank.
I will feed when the lights go out.
I'm talking about the size of your tank being a little too big for them to search food around.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Ameekplec
Forum Follower

Post by Ameekplec »

In nature, the density of any animal is probably nowhere near 5 animals in a 30 x 60 cm area. Also, the density of food is definitely far far less n the wild than in any tank that they are fed in.

Just keep them well fed, and they should be fine with such ample space. If you feed after lights out, I'm sure the discus won't bother them if they can't see them.

The only issue I can see is flow; plecs generally enjoy lots of flow, and your tank being a planted discus tank probably is extremely lacking in that department.
Addict
Forum Follower

Post by Addict »

Ameekplec wrote:In nature, the density of any animal is probably nowhere near 5 animals in a 30 x 60 cm area. Also, the density of food is definitely far far less n the wild than in any tank that they are fed in.

Just keep them well fed, and they should be fine with such ample space. If you feed after lights out, I'm sure the discus won't bother them if they can't see them.

The only issue I can see is flow; plecs generally enjoy lots of flow, and your tank being a planted discus tank probably is extremely lacking in that department.
My flow is quite good imo. I use 2 filters (external and internal) and they "filter" the tank aproximately 5 times in 1 hour.

I picked them up yesterday evening btw, was a 2 hour drive but they are in my tank now. This morning I saw 2 of them and they were breathing quite heavily. Maybe I can add air in my tank when my lights go out or something?

I also changed some water today and after I did that the biggest one became quite active. He was swimming on the bottom I think looking for food. So I gave them some "tetra tabimin" (crushed the tablet like the guy I bought them from said) and it looked like he was eating it. Ofcourse I can't be sure because it's so small.

Also took some pics last night:

Barbie

Post by Barbie »

5 times the tank volume turned over an hour is what I consider absolute minimum. It's not actually all that much flow, especially if you see the types of conditions these fish are collected in. The fact that they're out and struggling to breathe their very first morning is surely not a good sign of continued success. I'd definitely rethink your plans for keeping them in that tank, if it was me. They like temperatures much warmer than plants are going to appreciate, IME.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Addict
Forum Follower

Post by Addict »

Barbie wrote:5 times the tank volume turned over an hour is what I consider absolute minimum. It's not actually all that much flow, especially if you see the types of conditions these fish are collected in. The fact that they're out and struggling to breathe their very first morning is surely not a good sign of continued success. I'd definitely rethink your plans for keeping them in that tank, if it was me. They like temperatures much warmer than plants are going to appreciate, IME.

Barbie
I didn't say they were struggling to breath, but ok. I've permanently added an air pump and will work to an oxygen level from 7/8 mg per liter. Which should be more then enough; it's the same the breeder has.

If you look at the pic of my tank you'll see I have discus in it. These fish need temperatures above 28°c. My current temperature is 29°c and it's no problem for my plants and perfect for the L46!

I'm also changing the plants who need alot of carbon dioxide so I can reduce my CO² flow aswell.
I would also like to say that I want to keep the zebra's and the plants are less important. so some advice on what I still have to change would be nice.

The idea is to keep zebra's and discus together in a planted tank.

-edit-

Forgot the filter part;

My external filter has a capacity around 1200l/hour. My internal only has a capacity of about 600l/hour. I could change it with a pump that does 1200l/hour but if I use it's really powerfull. If I feed for example everything gets blown away into peaces etc wich causes a mess in the tank.
So I won't change that for now.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

It sounds like you've thought of everything then. Good luck!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Addict
Forum Follower

Post by Addict »

Just to be safe I changed them to a small tank and they are doing really well. They eat really good and look healthy.

In the meanwhile I can slowly start rebuilding my big tank. I'm changing plants with wood but I would still like to keep some plants. It's hard to find some examples of planted tanks with zebra's in it though. I'm also adding a new filter (900l/h) and a powerhead for a good flow.

Some more advice would be appreciated by the way ;).
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi I use the same sized tank for my main zeb group it was formaly a discus tank hence the size juwel 400L think it is 6ft. I use 2 heaters 1 external canister filter 1200l/hour and 1 internal which I changed to a 1200l/hour from the standard juwel 600l/hour I also use a Eheim 5500l/hour powerhead for extra flow and 2 massive air driven sponge filters also a full length airwall the tank is like a whirlpool. The only plants I have been able to keep in this tank are planted bogwood with java fern and anubis although I do have no gravel in my tank so plants are not an option unless they are growing on wood, I have found no problem with the tanks size other than it looking a little bare so I use some nice wood to distract from this. The zebs explore the whole tank when the lights are out returning to thier hiding places in the daytime. There is only one point I would like to make I would not put discus in my zeb tank because it is geared up for the zebs other than the tempreature the conditions with the harsh water flow would not be too kind on discus whic do prefer much calmer waters, at a push you could keep both creating dead spots for your discus to rest but ask yourself what your future intensions are for your tank to breed zebs or to keep a selection of fish that will help you decide what steps to take with the setup.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Jo, you have any photo's of your tank setup?
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi yes there are a few knocking around here are the last ones I took on the pics page http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5116
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk