PH and KH - How do I fix?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GlockFu
Obsessed!!

PH and KH - How do I fix?

Post by GlockFu »

My tap water is at about 8+ PH and my KH is 0.

What would you do to lower the PH and raise the KH?

My method to safe guard the water from a PH crash was to put crushed coral in my filter, but by doing this, it keeps my PH really high. I was thinking about adding some wood to try and counter balance this but dont know if that would really work or not.

Is there a better option? What other method should I use?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Try reducing the amount of coral in the filter. I found that to get the kh up but not move the pH notably it took about 1/2 cup for a 50 gal tank.

However, the following should be borne in mind:
Hardening Your Water (Raising GH and/or KH)

The following measurements are approximate; use a test kit to verify you've achieved the intended results. Note that if your water is extremely soft to begin with (1 degree KH or less), you may get a drastic change in pH as the buffer is added.

To raise both GH and KH simultaneously, add calcium carbonate (CaCO3). 1/2 teaspoon per 100 liters of water will increase both the KH and GH by about 1-2 dH. Alternatively, add some sea shells, coral, limestone, marble chips, etc. to your filter.

To raise the KH without raising the GH, add sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), commonly known as baking soda. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 Liters raises the KH by about 1 dH. Sodium bicarbonate drives the pH towards an equilibrium value of 8.2.
From http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Thanks! Thats exactly the type of info I needed. I'm going to crack open my filter and see exactly how much crushed coral I've got in there.