Is this tank ok for zebs?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

ZebKeeper
Groupie

Post by ZebKeeper »

hows the fish goin? have they gave you a present yet?
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

No presents yet but Christmas is not far away. :D

The males go over to the biggest female at the sponge filter every night and do their jiggy thing but she doesn't want to budge from her spot.
I am thinking maybe she is just obese from eating all the food which gathers on the filter.

I made a couple of caves which I have to soak and install yet, and I plan to have another go making more caves and make a better job next time.
Brengun
Groupie

Added caves and redecorated

Post by Brengun »

I had a fun time today adding the new caves I made for the zebra plecos.
While I was at it, I added a bit of slate and rocks, and a bubble wand.
The zebras were like kids with a new playground and forgot about their shyness for a little while. :)
Brengun
Groupie

Re: Is this tank ok for zebs?

Post by Brengun »

Wow this thread is a long time ago. One male in that colony of 5 turned out a killer. The other 4 mysteriously died over the years and I could never really figure out why?

I got a few more zebs and added them to him and all was well until the tank let go and I caught them in only a few inches of water!

I hastily moved the colony to a 4ft tank with ugf, fully established and all was well.
Original male got a female in his cave, woohoo! Two days later, she's still in there so I went investigating.
Here's the male munching contentedly on her dead body!

He has been banished to the 6ft tank now full of vampire plecos where I didn't think he would last long but he has since grown even bigger and has kicked one of the vampires out of its cave and taken over. Man he must be aggressive.

Anyways the rest of the colony of 5 in the 4ft are quite happy to see him gone thankyou very much and they actually come out a bit more now.
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

Bad luck with the bully, will you ever let him near other 46 again?
Not sure if I'd ever be able to trust him again.
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

He's a very impressive fish but no, not until I have a number of experienced females would I dare let him near any again and only on a one on one situation where I could keep a lost eye on them methinks.