Removing unfertilized eggs from the clutch?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Poshpleco
Groupie

Removing unfertilized eggs from the clutch?

Post by Poshpleco »

Hi,

I have taken the eggs out of the males cave(he has eaten the last 8 spawns so his time was up for looking after them) Anyway, i would like some advice on how to remove an unfertilized egg from the clutch.

I have tried a baster before and all I ended up doing was sucking a good baby out of his egg as well as the unfertile egg.

I am hoping someone that has had more experience than me has some good tips.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tracey.
A Few Zebs!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a couple of custom mini syphons I made using airline hose with a piece if similar sized but rigid tubing that can be "forced" into the airline. The hose is a couple of feet long and I have several with one having an 18 inch rigid tube and another about 12 inches.

Thinwall Rigid Tubing - 3/16 in. x 36 in. by Lee's Aquarium & Pet
The nice thing about this is I can start a syphon, then cap the end in the bucket with one hand and then position the end of the rigid tube near an egg, and by removing my finger to allow the syphon to flow, accurately suck it out. If something you don't want to starts to move, cap the syphon. and try agin :-)
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Irene0100
Forum Follower

Post by Irene0100 »

well my zebs have not bred yet, but when I bred BNs and had a clutch of eggs kicked out , possibly because most were infertile, I put the bundle in a net. there were some fertile and some infertile, but the egg mass was well stuck together so I thought it was a bit dangerous to try and split them. SO I left the bundle togerther, but added a couple of small water louse, from my garden pond, to the net -this is a non chemical way to stop fungus as they will eat any fungi spores. as soon as the wrigglers hatched I removed the egg cases and remains from the net. the young were fine.