How long do fry stay in the caves for?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

How long do fry stay in the caves for?

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Hi all,

My alpha male is still in his cave guarding his fry, but its been 20 days now since they have hatched, the yolk sacs were used up about 5 days ago and they look about 5-7mm in length.

My past 4 spawns, I have removed the eggs before they hatched and grew them on myself in a fry hatchery, but thought this time would leave it to Dad and mother nature.

I am getting quite concerned now as I think Dad should move aside and let the wee ones go out and feed. I can count 16 fry give or take one or two.

How long do fry normally stay in the cave for?, am I being too impatient here?

Any advice is appreciated.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Don't worry. Dad will let them out at night for searching food. The fries will come back and stay in the cave with their dad during the day time. I have a couple fries who are 2 months old and still like to stay with their dad during the day time. :D
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
alsbeth
Forum Follower

Post by alsbeth »

Don't worry. Dad will let them out at night for searching food. The fries will come back and stay in the cave with their dad during the day time. I have a couple fries who are 2 months old and still like to stay with their dad during the day time
Hi ,Just wondered if this stops the male from spawning with any willing females that might want to enter the cave and spawn ?

Regards Al
alsbeth
Forum Follower

Post by alsbeth »

Don't worry. Dad will let them out at night for searching food. The fries will come back and stay in the cave with their dad during the day time. I have a couple fries who are 2 months old and still like to stay with their dad during the day time
Hi ,Just wondered if this stops the male from spawning with any willing females that might want to enter the cave and spawn ?

Regards Al
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

lol, its funny you asked this, as my female is hanging around the males cave trying "hopefully" to get in, but he has three fry in there at present, the rest of the fry have left and are now safely in a breeder trap, but these 3 just don't want to go.

The male just is not interested in the female outside and I am thinking of kicking the 3 squatters out into the big old world to fend for the themselves. They are definately eating as they are growing at the same rate as the others, so they must as said above, come out at nights and hide back in the cave during the day.

Will keep an eye on them and will keep everyone updated.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Just an update, I now have 3 little fry in the back of the cave, one male and now one female.

She is in there laying her eggs and the fry are still in there, should I be concerned for either the adults the eggs or the fry, or just leave them to it.

Has this happened to anyone else.

Also this is the 6 spawn in less than 6 months is this normal?
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I have had a double spawn a few times, from two different females when the fry where 2 weeks old still in the cave & no problems.

Just leave them too it, they know best!

I have one female that has spawned every 4 weeks for the past 11 months, there is always a good batch of eggs, but never many fry between 3 & 5.
A couple of times the spawns have failed, but I just leave them too it knowing that they will stop when they feel like it.

Congrats on your many spawns. :)