injury anything i can do

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

injury anything i can do

Post by Zebedee »

i have already put up a post about this but i felt it may be better served in this section as my poor zebra is looking worse for wear. he is separated and in a floating tank. What can i do to help him any medication or anything else

John

Post by John »

Relax, i've seen much worse completely recover.
Should not take him more then 2 weeks to grow back his finns and stripes.
Only thing you could add in his little tank now is a almond leaf, medication is imo not necesary.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

where would i get one from as i don't have any to hand i have seen them on aquabid do they sell them in aquarium shops
John

Post by John »

Zebedee wrote:i'm guessing a fresh one would i buy one of these from the supermarket?
No one that is dried, try your LFS and if they don't have them forget it.
Greetings,
John
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

just brought 10 off ebay hopefully should be here tomorrow or day after thanks john
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Keep the water clean my alpha looked really battered after the spawn before last he soon recovered, you will find that when they spawn the male and females get a little scuffed up they look like they have had there stripes sanded but do recover fast so don't stress they are hardy little critters really. Almond leave as John stated are the best thing you can use I have them in all my tanks all the time.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

update looking a bit nasty. on the white parts of the fins there is smalls hairs growing or maybe fungus it looks like the fleshy parts have totally gone do you think this is getting worse? i have a couple of almond leaves in the tank however they only turned up yesterday.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I think he is starting to look a little better from the pics but you see him all the time, how is he acting is his behaviour normal (considering he is in the trap) is he trying to hide as normal. His sides are much improved. :)
John

Post by John »

Jo's Zebs wrote: His sides are much improved. :)
yeah , he allready looks much better, stripes allready healed within a week.
Give the finns another week and i think he'll be allright :wink:
Greetings,
John
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

cant tell on behaviour he has been moving back and shooting forward a bit it made me think he was training for a rematch. have you seen the fins like this before they are really white on the tips they have lost all colour makes me think they have died. Will they get their colour back and get better i really hope so have been doing extra water changes. what level for nitrates is ok i know as low as poss but mine have been up to around 40 is this acceptable or should i try more water changes to get it lower.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

one side which i thought looks dead has broken off? is this normal will it grow back??? can it regrow the arm part (sorry not very technical).
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I see what you mean now, I know bone will not grow back but fin will don't stress over this as the damage has already been done you can do nothing about that he is looking like he is healing up well with no infection which is great and what you want this would be the biggest threat to him, keep up the water changes as you are on the right track to getting him better keep us updated and best of luck :)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The fin ray can grow back, yes. My now dominant males dorsal top ray was completely torn off and you can't tell now. As long as the growth bed it grows out of isn't damaged it will grow back. I had to excise a fin on a female L318 that had a tumor and it grew back totally normally. Keep his water in good shape and watch for secondary infections and he'll be good as new soon :).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Its hard to tell from the photos, but what age and size is the injured zeb?
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

he is just under 3" i was told 3 1/2 years and 3 1/2 inches old but a lot of people who sell these exagerate on the sizes :lol: