water levels

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

water levels

Post by Zebedee »

hi i've been testing the levels of Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and PH do i need to be testing for the levels of Gh and Kh as i dont currently have a meter to do so. The kit i have to test for the the above levels that i have been doing is with test tubes and liquid drops into them i was wondering also how effective are the paper strips that you just dip in, do they give accurate readings? thanks
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Test Strips are notoriously inaccurate. Stick with the liquids.

Re GH and KH- KH is really only an issue in terms of it being high enough to hold pH levels stable and is usually only a consideration when trying to changes one's pH. GH is not an issue in terms of matching it to fish needs. However, it is a factor in spawning. More appropriatedly it is TDS more than just GH which is involved, and it is the changes in TDS associated with dry and rainy seasons which are a spawning trigger.

Of course ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 and it is best to keep nitrates low, expecially where fry are concerned.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

Hi TTa thanks for the info any luck on you're L236 is it difficult to import fish from canada