size of group?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

size of group?

Post by Zebedee »

hi i'm looking into getting a breeding group 2M3F to add to the 9 zebs i already have only 1 mature male will this be too much i'm planning on redesigning my tank with a bare slate bottom and adding more caves.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Is your tank around 150 litre?

Your young zebs are still small at the moment, so wouldn't cause a problem at the moment until they are a lot bigger with overstocking.

I would have around 8-9 adults in a tank around that size, to give the fish plenty of hiding places & form territories without too much fighting going on.

Good luck in finding 3 females :wink:
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

yes my tank is 150 litres so six adults should in theory be ok. there is a couple of zebs around 2" i'm guessing they are males as they love being in and at the front of the caves.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Looking at your tank image above, I think you will need more air stones in there or better water movement, at high temps the Disolved Oxygen is very low, you will need as much water movement as possible if your going to keep 6 adults in that tank.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

there are 2 filters in the tank an internal one with a 600 l/p/h pump on it, which pushes the water out near the top of the tank and there is also a 1000 l/p/h pump pushing water from the outlet on the lower right hand side across the caves in the centre to the inlet of the pump on the left hand side. These filters do not blow out air bubbles like some filters hense why you cant see the movement. do you think that the movement will be fine and maybe i just need more airstones? or do i need to add more movement in the tank also?