Is he too young ?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Elaine
Groupie

Is he too young ?

Post by Elaine »

Hi,
The behaviour of my young group is really confusing ! They are all 3'' or more and live together without any major fights. Only a few scuffed stripes here and there, but I had put that down to them settling down and sorting out the 'pecking order'.
This is the confusing bit ..... for about the last 5 or 6 days a very plump female has been trying to get into the biggest male's cave, without success. She even sits right at the entrance, but he still won't let her in ! They don't fight, so I had Kinda ruled out getting it wrong with a fat male.
Anyone offer any advice, or shed any light on this for me as the suspense is driving me mad ? Could it be that he still has a little more maturing to do ?

Cheers
Elaine

I
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It is said that males mature later than females. However, sometimes all it takes is some patience. I have had a number of trapping where after a couple of days the female is out and no eggs were left. And then suddenly a short visit results in a spawn.

I would just sit back, be patient and see what develops.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Hello Elaine
The female trying to get into a males cave is a excellent sign, i had that when i kept mine in a group in my big tank.
I could see the female trying to get in by the male, and no matter how hard she tried to squeeze in, he didn't seem interested, and she eventually gave up.
It is just down to inexperience, and they will get it right sooner, rather than later.

This is when patience is required, as they will get around to it soon, but don't forget it's common to have the first brood of eggs unfertilized, and kicked out the cave by the male (though not always).

Good luck, and no shining of the torch too much into the cave, if she dose get in 8)
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Thanks Andrew,

That's very encouraging ! I have sat ( stiff as a board ) and watched her efforts. She's tried about every approach there is ..... either side of him, above him and even tried to squeeze underneath him, but he simply refuses to let her in . She does seem to get a bit fed up and moves away, but never very far from the cave. She parks herself on top of it or either side of it and takes a 'time out'. It's never usually long before she tries again. One of these times the penny's bound to drop and he'll let her in.

As for shinning a torch in ...... I wouldn't dare risk it if they finally get it together !

So this very well could just be a young and inexperienced male having to find his way then, just what I was hoping ! I do hope he works it out sooner rather than later as I don't think my nerves could handle it for too long ...... LOL.

Cheers
Elaine
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Hi TTA,

Thank you for your words of wisdom ! Deep down I know patience is the key,
but I just can't help being excited . I'll leave well alone and just wait and see what happens . At least something is starting to happen and, with a bit of luck, it won't be too long before he works it out. She may even decide to get herself a 'new man' ...... LOL !

Cheers
Elaine
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Each male has his own favorite and taste. :lol:
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Best of luck Elaine got my finger crossed for you well in my head I have :lol: It sounds as though your female is good to go anytime now. Have you other older males in the tank?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Thanks Jo,

All the males are around the same age( approx 3 years , maybe a little over) but this guy is definitely the biggest . My little lady just rocks back and forward she's so fat. It can only be 3 or 4 weeks since I put this little group together, so I guess they are still getting used to each other. She's not a quitter though, poor gal's still trying to get in that cave .....LOL.

Cheers
Elaine
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Oh bless her, can't fault her efforts for trying, lets hope the male cottons on soon :)
alsbeth
Forum Follower

Post by alsbeth »

Hi Elaine, i had a female exactly doing the same in my large males cave and he just wouldn't let her in.Anyway about 2 months later she was in with him for about 5 days and spawned.A month later she was spawning again.So patience is the key , signs are good. Al.
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Joby -
My sentiments exactly! She's a little trooper and shows no sign of giving up. She's still there, waiting for her chance to get into the cave.

Alsbeth -
Thanks for your words of encouragement. Good to know someone else has experienced the same, especially when it ended up with them spawning. Hope my zebs do the same !

I'm very happy things seem to be headed in the right direction, just have to sit back and let it run it's course.

Cheers
Elaine