Feeding bloodworm

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Feeding bloodworm

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Hi all, I have read on here quite a lot about feeding bloodworms and fry choking on them, but adult fish are ok etc.

At present I am feeding my plecs bloodworm pellets, but at what age would you say its safe to feed frozen bloodworm and have no fear of choking, are we talking months or years, the majority of my fry are about 6-9 months old.

My adults love the frozen bloodworm but would just like to get the wee uns some "fresh" meat.

I have even thought about defrosting a bloodworm cube and getting a pair of scissors and cutting the worms up.

I also have live white, grindal and microworm cultures and also brine shrimp hatcheries for my other fish, will zebs eat these?
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I feed my fry up to 3-4 months old on micro worm, & my fry between 6-9 months old i feed very small pieces of brine shrimp, blood worm, & beef heart that float to the top when i am defrosting in a glass.

Cutting up your bloodworm sounds a good idea :wink:
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I've lost a fry to bloodworm choking and have tried multiple methods to chopped up frozen food for both the adults and fry I had - from buying a coffee grinder and tossing the cubes in there, to trying a small food processor - and none of them gave me the results I was comfortable giving to my fry - especially after witnessing that fry choke to death :(

The best results I had was I purchased a small chopping block (I think it was called a bartender cutting board - about 6"x4") and taking each frozen cube and cutting them in small slices, almost mincing them. I would take some tank water in a cup and squirt the board to flush the food into the feeding cup and use a turkey baster to squirt the food to where my zebs were.

- Angela
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

I chop my bloodworm up when its frozen and dice it very finely before feeding.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

There are dozens of foods that fry thrive on. Why take the risk?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

My knowlegeable breeder has just recommended not to feed bloodworm until the zebs are 5cm in size. Aparently it can cause bloat in the smaller ones. Looks like mine will have to make do with other foods for a while.