Zebras and Bristlenose Catfish together ?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

jeff b

Zebras and Bristlenose Catfish together ?

Post by jeff b »

Hi All,
Apologies if this has already been covered ( it probably has, but I'm unable to find anything on it in the search engine ).

I have 8 zebras, roughly 1.5", and was wondering if it is safe enough to mix them with baby albino bristlenose catfish ? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks .... :roll:
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

it should be ok as they both have different dietry requirements, but i wouldnt do it personally, or advise it. although if it were only temporary, untill another tank was set up for either of the two, it may be ok...

but personally i wouldnt mix zebras with any other species, especially young zebras!

hope this helps, J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I would say NO because bristlenoses are very active and agressive when eating. zebras can't compete with them. Also, bristlenoses grow very fast, and soon or later, they will be bigger. If you have male, it will fight for a cave and might harm your zebras.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
John

Post by John »

Short and simple: no

The baby bristlenose will eat the zebra's food and can die of to much fat in their diet, on the other hand the bristlenoses will compete the zebra's out of food and hiding spaces so this might damage or kill the small zebs.
I would strongly advise different tanks!

BTW welcome to the forum :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
jeff b

Post by jeff b »

Many thanks for the response .... I somehow had a feeling that might be the case, I had to double check though.
Thanks once again and regards .... :roll:
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

I recently lost a Zebra due to it haveing a fight with a Bristlenose, so I also join the NO camp!