5 spawns in a role...

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

5 spawns in a role...

Post by twinspots_goby »

Has anyone had a male held 5 spawns in a role in 3 months? I have been trying to breed my zebras and I finally got it. This bull male has begun to breed with 3-4 females on Feb. First two were successful. He kicked out the eggs. Then He held other 3 consecutive and susccessful spawn. The fries from the 5th spawn are still in a cave with him. I never saw him coming out and eat since the first spawn. He's been fanning either eggs or fries all the time. I start wondering about his health. Shall I seperate him from the females after this spawn to give him a break? Any advice please? :)
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would suggest you try to find another male. Mine spawn repeatedly but there is normally about a month between spawns for any one male.

However, as long as he is not losing weight, I would not be too concerned. After all he only has 2 things to do- eat and spawn :-)
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Any other advice?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

I wouldn't worry about it to much. The male knows when to eat. I've seen my male come out of the cave looking for food around the cave entrance when I feed after the light goes out while he is tending to eggs or fry.
Earlier on when my male was breeding regularily and frequently, and when I was pulling the fry out after about 7 days, he would be on eggs about a week later. This sequence happened a few times. Would have to check my records to see if I have had 5 spawns in 3 months. He never seem to lose weight and I did see him come out to eat at night.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

KenW wrote:I wouldn't worry about it to much. The male knows when to eat. I've seen my male come out of the cave looking for food around the cave entrance when I feed after the light goes out while he is tending to eggs or fry.
Earlier on when my male was breeding regularily and frequently, and when I was pulling the fry out after about 7 days, he would be on eggs about a week later. This sequence happened a few times. Would have to check my records to see if I have had 5 spawns in 3 months. He never seem to lose weight and I did see him come out to eat at night.
Thanks. Ken. Maybe I just worried too much. I haven't seen him out and look for food at all. But he might be super smart and only come out when I was not watching him. He doesn't seem to lose any weight, and I assue he is doing fine.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Definitely don't change anything. It's not broken, don't fix it ;). He will know when he needs a hiatus, but honestly, they come out to eat more often than people realize, IMO. If he looks really skinny, then worry, but he won't!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Thanks for your advice, Barbie.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Hi, guys! I just can't believe this. Tonight I got home and took a look at inside of the cave and wanted to see how those little guys are doing. What I found is that he was with another female again. :shock: I can see that those babies are far behide the wall and the female is facing toward the entrance of the cave. I guess she is laying eggs. I'm a little worried about those fries. Same thing happened to me at 4th spawn. But the dad seems to be doing a better job this time. He didn't kick out those fries like he did at 4th spawn. Am I having a record here? 6 spawns in a roll! :D
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Wow! something magical in your water it seems :lol:
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

After 6 straight spawns, I thought my zebs were finally stopped and began taking a break. I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!. Last night, when I got home and fed them, I found one female was trapped in a cave with my alpha male. :lol: And I found some eggs in the cave in this morning! :shock: That was quick! Now, it's 7 spawns in a roll. :yahooscream: I guess hot season is not over yet.