General Care Questions - Growing out Zebras / Tankmates

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

WIS
Forum Follower

General Care Questions - Growing out Zebras / Tankmates

Post by WIS »

I may be able to get a number of young zebras sized at about 1 inch.

As they are still fairly expensive, I would like to know if they are stable and easy to grow out from this size or if I should wait for larger ones to appear in the market?

And also what larger sizes should I be looking at?

These will be housed in a hardscape 3 feet tank that I have prepared for them. I note they do not eat algae and am concerned about green spot algae that may appear in the tank. Can I keep them with some other plecos such as the bristlenoses/fallowala/snails that will clean the algae off the glass of the tank.

I am also thinking of putting in a couple of cherry shrimps and a small group of schooling fishes. Is this recommended? And if so, what would be suitable?
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

That depends on how much experience you have with plecos. I think locally, that is about the size people sell them at. There is no doubt some risk involve. But it's also a bit cheaper at this size. Bigger ones like 2" and on are sold close to adult prices.
I would not put them in with other plecos. I know that there are many people who do. But I find that the other plecos like BN pleco will grow much faster than a zebra and ultimately will push the zebra aside and end up being at the top of the food chain leaving left overs for the zebras to eat.
Cherry shrimps are very good to clean your algae and would not compete with the zebras. Even when my zebra pleco kicked out some wigglers, the cherry shrimps still leave them alone.
Other small scchooling fish are OK, but they tend to harass your fry when you start breeding.