Is this an old fish?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Is this an old fish?

Post by ApacheDan »

I recently met an old time friend at our local fish club. He told me that he has in his discus tank a 13 year old Zebra...the oldest fish he's got. Originally he bought a young pair, but one of them died. The way he described it, there is a chance that it might be a female. I might be willing to go to his place, get good pics and have it sexed here, but the question is....will this lady (if she is a girl) would be too old to reproduce?. I mean...she would be a virgin and not in the mood after so many years. :lol: What do you think, is it worth the trouble?
Dan
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

It's worth the trouble, if you can move her without killing her. My big male was at least 12 years old the last time he spawned, and probably much older than that. He was the biggest zebra I'd ever seen when I got him 9 years ago. It would definitely be worth trying, IMO. I've heard other accounts of older zebras spawning, also. I might be able to find someone with a spare adult male too, if it does turn out to be a female. Just let me know.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Thanks Barbie...that's encouraging. I will try to get some pics and let you know. If it is a female, I would be willing to buy an adult male or make other arrangements. I'll keep you posted by PM.
Dan
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Be interesting to see what happens :)
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I know a local guy who's had a about a 15 year old breeding pair, that is still spawning, though not as often as his young pair.