after spending an arm & a leg....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

after spending an arm & a leg....

Post by ApacheDan »

I ended up with 17 baby zebras from at least 6 different bloodlines (or so the sellers say). Anyways, size ranges between 1.2" to 1.5" and one that is 2"+(hopefully a female). I want them to grow out for the next couple of years & I'm trying to figure out at what size should I split the whole group? I have two 20 gal long tanks available. At this size, should I keep them all together, or should I split them 8+9, if for no other reason just not to keep all my eggs in one basket? Should I split them in 3 groups from now? These tanks are species tanks and will have zebras only. I want to have them settle down in what will be their new home for the next couple of years. Thanks for any advice. Dan
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

If they were mine, I would probably split them up and plan on giving them a 30 or 40 gallon breeder in a year or two. I recently bit the bullet and put all of my adults in one basket, only to lose two of them. It did give them the impetus to get spawning again, but wow it was painful to lose those big guys!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I agree with Barb. Split em up simply as insurance against a whole tank wipeout.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Agree also, would not like all the eggs in one basket so to speak :dizzy:

Good luck with them :)
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Thanks guys...I guess it makes common sense. Decisions, decisions, ...I have them meanwhile on a regular 20 gal tank, while my new tank setup cycles. I will take my time to do it right. New setup is 3 shelves, 2x20 gal long tanks/shelve & the bottom is a 55 gal sump/filter. Since this is a central filtration system, the stability of 130 gal of water should be easier to monitor. Daily cleaning/water changes, 8 hours of UV sterilization/day. Top 2 tanks w/be with Zebras, other two will have colonies of L134 and L066 respectively. Stay tuned...pics in due time... :)
John

Post by John »

The only tank wipe out i had on a tank with zebs was with a power out, 2 tanks would not have made any difference.
Equipment failure is the biggest issue i think, at least if you are starting off with healthy fish.
But if you wanna play safe you could use two tanks, just make shure all your equipment is in tiptop shape.
Good luck with your new group Dan :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

John wrote:The only tank wipe out i had on a tank with zebs was with a power out, 2 tanks would not have made any difference.
:wink:
Thanks John. Question, how long were your zebs w/out power? I would like to know.

Here in Florida powerouts occur during stormy/hurricane season, but the temp usually is hot, in the tank +/- 78F. I got a contingency plan: sponge filters in every tank. Twin deep cycle marine batteries w/power inverter. Battery charger, powered by gas generator. With this I can give at least filtration and air to all tanks for days or weeks if necessary. Water never goes out & mine goes through a filter & dechlorinator first, so I can do some partial water changes. Once I was wiped out of my precious Discus & learn my lesson.
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

Hey ApacheDan...just a thought, but if its a centeral filter system and you had an out break of something all your fish will be exposed to it. Maybe a shut off valve to each tank can help with isolation and controling any out breaks if they ever occur.
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Lifted193 wrote:Maybe a shut off valve to each tank can help with isolation and controling any out breaks if they ever occur.
Gotcha...here's a lousy pic I just took with my cell phone, but it gives you an idea. Every tank has a ball valve, can be isolated & individually filtered if something goes wrong...
John

Post by John »

ApacheDan wrote:Question, how long were your zebs w/out power?
Not shure but at least couple of days.
I was on holiday and lightning had struck nearby, headfuse was blown.
As i returned from holiday temp was 12 degrees celcius ,equipment had not worked for days.
Since this incident i have someone checking my electrical supply twice a day when i am not home :wink:

BTW pro looking setup, love to see it live (i visit hollywood in 3 weeks) :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

John wrote:
ApacheDan wrote:Question, how long were your zebs w/out power?

BTW pro looking setup, love to see it live (i visit hollywood in 3 weeks) :wink:
You bet! check your PM
Dan
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

We live in an area that has always experienced power outage with nasty storms. These can last for a short time or an extended period- ie many hours and now and then days.

When I got my zebras, I was not too concerned as I have back battery powered air pumps and can and have heated water from tanks on the gas grill. However, when the zebs began to spawn like mad and the fry count began to climb, it occured to me that I had well over $15k worth of zebs, let alone all my other fish. And that was when we made the decision to get a whole house backup generating system.

It didn't hurt there were other reasons for doing this, but all told having the system in place has made it a lot easier to sleep nights. I strongly urge anybody who keeps expensive fish to consider having some form of backup power generation. Even a smaller gas/ptrol powered one can be a life safer when it comes to fish tank.

If you go this route make sure you consider maintaining temps as important as keeping equipment going. Better to have a bit more power than you think you need just to be on the safe side.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.