Shy Zebras...

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Shy Zebras...

Post by mistern2005 »

Okay - so here is the deal...

My zebras are now nearing the two year mark. I am switching them tanks this afternoon so hopefully I will get good pictures of all of them for you guys to help me sex them.

Anyway, they are ALWAYS hiding....ALWAYS. They are growing, presumably eating, and I hope happy. Other than being painfully shy there doesn't seem to be any issue.

I know Zebras are shy by nature, but my are REALLY shy. Is there something I can do to help entice them to come out more? They are going into the tank in the bedroom and it would be nice if the wife and I could actually see them from time to time - without using a flaslight. Special foods, setup ideas, anything???

Any advice, encouraging or discouraging words?
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

You can try using a moon light. Mine do come out when it's on but I know they are more active when its not on. With the moon light on they are a bit more active though. I've set mine on a timer to go on just a bit before my regular lights go off and turn off an hour later or so.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I would say changing your set will help a lot. Making all the hiding places visible from front view for examples. That is what I did for my tanks and I can see them all the time. I even know which one is in where because once they settled, they stay in the same place all the time. But if there is a change or you find a missing one, make sure you check the cave. You may find a supprise. :lol:
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

Glock-
I do have a moonlight, but its a not a varible controlled moonlight. I have it more for the fact that it looks cool.

TwinSpots-
When I set up the new tank I tried ot keep that in mind (did you seee my "Help me Sex my zebra thread?). I actually saw one out last night - something I've never seen before. I figure he was either mega-stressed from the move or just exploring the new digs. Either way, I agree that a good set up can really highlight the fish.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

even our tank bred fry are shy - we have 15 growing out that are about 1.5" now and I only see them if I get a torch and look for them...
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

smith - are those your zebras in your avantar? Becuase if so, even assuming you got that on the first shot, your zebras are still out more than mine. Mine never do that. :?
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

they used to be.. when we first got them come to think of it... :|
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

The downside to these pretty fish is they are happy when they are hiding and that seems to be what they do best. I glance at my zeb tank and see tails more than anything, the tank looks pretty empty of fish, at night they are out more and can somtimes catch a few exploring there tank if I am sneaky, I made a ledge out of slate and stones a lot of the females squish in this to hide they are a little easier to see but they are trying to hide all the same
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk