Zeb Newbie, and hello from Hampshire (UK)

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Kezza

Zeb Newbie, and hello from Hampshire (UK)

Post by Kezza »

Hi everyone...

I picked up two 1 1/4 inch babys on Monday and today they are looking OK. They are in a 24 x 10 x 10 tank with sand bottom and slate everywhere. I have made loads of caves from 0 to 1/2 inch high (sloping) so they can get in as far as they like. Temp is about 80 deg F, and pH at 6.5. I use RO with minerals and a bit of buffer. I have an internal cannister which cycles water 16 times an hour. The water is a bit brown (sand) but the quality is good.

So, hello everybody, and I love these Zebs. I have been keeping Lake Vic Cichlids for a few years and saw these guys... the rest is history :wink:

Anyhow, the "boys" are doing well I think. Still scuttling about in thier caves. 96 hours from pick up, I think the danger period is over would you say??

A couple of questions though:

1. Food - Hikari algea flakes and ZM400 OK? I have read that these guys are not too fussed about algea. Also, how on earth to you get them to feed on the ZM?

2. Bog wood - yes or no? Apart from making the tank look a bit nicer IMO is there any real reason to have it. Will these guys benefit from a bit of bog wood?

3. Tank mates - I'm not to fussed about tank mates, but wouldn't some danios or something similar give the guys some sense of security. An empty river usually spells "big predator on it's way" - do you not think?

I have spent a while reading up on this forum and I must say that you guys are a real friendly bunch - I am well happy to be a member.

Hope to hear from you all - I'm of to watch the zebs for an hour or two :D
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Hi a big welcome & congrats on your new arrivals, I feed mine micro algae wafers, crushed tetra prima & carnivore tablets, i don't use zm so can't comment on them.

They will feed more at night until they settle in, so you may not see them feed much.
I would ask who you got the fish from what they fed the fish & feed the same as this until they settle in & then introduce different foods.

My tanks are a mixture of bogwood which they hide in & under, slate & rocks.

I keep cardinals, rummey nose, shrimps & coreys in with my zebs & all is happy :)
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

:D Welcome :D
John

Post by John »

Welcome Kezza :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]