Growth Rates

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

DanD
Groupie

Growth Rates

Post by DanD »

Hi All,

Back in May 2007 I was able to get ahold of some zebs. They were very small, all under one inch, but all roughly the same size so I assume to be the same age.

Its been 9 months and they have all shown growth but some more than others. I haven't actually measured any of them but just looking at them, my largest is more than double the size of my smallest, with varying sizes in between.

The largest is always active when I feed and although he doesn't like when I watch him, he will still peep his nose out and jump on the food the moment I look away. I don't really ever see the others feed but obviously they must be feeding when I'm not there.

I am wondering if I need to take more steps to place the food in specific spots where the smaller ones can get to it easier or where they feel safer.

Are the differing growth rates pretty normal?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

human My experience with growing out fry from a nuber of fish, including zebras. is that growth rates are rarely even. My personal feeling is that in any group of fry some will be more agressive in going after food which means others will get less and grow slower.

What I have always tried to do is either to move them around in tanks or else to sell off the largest first. I find when the biggest ones go elsewhere, the "runts" tend to put on a growth spurt.

I have also found that it is non umcommon for there always to be a "runt" or two in any group no matter what is done. Just like among human brothers and sisters some are taller and some shorter, all fish in a spawn will not grow to the exact same size.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.