Tail Loss

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Asago
Forum Follower

Tail Loss

Post by Asago »

I have 4 juvenile zebs in 20 gallon long, 2 at 1 inch and 2 at 2 inches... 3 of the 4 are suffering from tail loss... no redness or fungus, no fighting, water parameters are good (pH 6.5, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, temp. 83 F).
Tails appear to be worn down. Started treating with pima and melafix.
Any suggestions or recommendations?
Asago
Forum Follower

Post by Asago »

Anybody?
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Not something I've come across - how long have you had them?

Could it be something the the tank that not suitable??
do they have caves? if so what make (eg slate, clay etc?)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Asago
Forum Follower

Post by Asago »

I have caves but they are not slate...manufactured caves made out of pottery... I guess? They are not exactly smooth textured... could it be that the cave material is wearing the tails down?
Highlandken
Forum Follower

Post by Highlandken »

You would have a better chance of finding out what the problem is if you could post pictures of the zebra's tails. I'm guessing your nitrate levels and hardness are ok. You might want to post your location, others in the area might know of something in your local water ?
Best of luck getting to the bottom of the problem anyway
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Asago

Is there any evidence of similar distress on the pectorial fins? Slight reddening at the tips?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Asago
Forum Follower

Post by Asago »

There is not alot of redness and the other fins are not affected. KH and GH are very low around 1 degree, nitrate @ 5ppm. I use of blend of RO and tap water. Would pH swing cause fin damage? pH is currently @ 6.8
I try to do small water changes daily mainly to remove uneaten food, probably amounts to 10% daily...skipping a day here or there. Also, the last time I did large water change 50%, I lost two of the Juveniles within 48 hrs, still not exactly sure why...read other similar posts here about same problem. Maybe pH swings during water changes causing my issues? If so, what is a good buffer to use?
Thanks for ideas and suggestions!
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

If you suspect that water is an issue.
Then pH shock and big tds changes does stress the plecos very much. In many cases, it can lead to death.
Can I ask why are you messing around with the RO water?
The zebra pleco can live confortable and breed under a wide range of pH. Anywhere from 6.5 - 7.6 pH is not a problem for them (that is my preference, but I think they can live at even lower pH). There is a problem when there is a significant drop or rise in pH. This stresses them out alot and I think that is the cause of your earlier fry deaths. I don't believe pH swings causes fin damage, but pH swings that stresses them and lower their immue system to allow sickness to set it is a possiblity. Calamaris (sp?) is usually what results after.
Take a reading of your tab's pH and if it falls into the pH range mentioned above, then stick with the tab water and forget about the RO.
Have you test your water for chlorine?
Do you know if your local water supply is using chlorine or chloramine?
With chlorine, you can let the water sit for a few days and it's good to go.
But with chloramine, you can sit it for a week and it will still be toxic to bacteria as well as burn your pleco's gills. Chloramine requires special de-chlor to neutralize them. This is what de-chlors like Seachem Prime, Chloram-X and many other brands are for.
John

Post by John »

Zebrapl3co wrote:Calamaris (sp?)
Columnaris that is, info here:http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disea ... mnaris.htm

I agree this COULD BE the issue here, not shure though.

BTW my zebs live and breed at PH 7,8 :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]