Neon and Cardinal Tetras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Neon and Cardinal Tetras

Post by GlockFu »

I am looking to get some dither fish in my pleco tank. I like the Neons and Cardinal Tetras. Is there a difference between the two besides the way they look?

I'm refering to behavior, requirements, hardiness, etc

Thanks!
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

Choose cardinal tetras beacuse they will survive better im the warm water then neon tetras.Neon tetras prefer a temp of 20-24 degrees
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

well said edlund...!

iv got a lovley shoal of cardinals in my zeb tanks and they are thriving at 86 degrees!

iv heard rummy noses are a good one for zebs too.
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
BooUrns!

Post by BooUrns! »

I wouldn't take the risk with cardinals or neons due to Neon Tetra Disease. It's an ailment that affects these widely farmed little tetras. I wouldn't want to risk keeping fish as expensive to replace as zebras with risky cheap fish. The rummynose are perhaps a better choice.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

neon tetra disease only effects tetras... your zebras would be fine.

also i would say that a large % of cardinals and neons in the trade are still wild caught.

all the best.

andy
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Well- the red Neon (Paracheirodon axelrodi) do not mind the warm water. It's one of the other kinds, who prefers it colder. Innisi or simulans. Don't know it anymore.

But they hide a lot, if the current are too strong.

Rummynoses (Hemigrammus bleheri) are perfect - as they do not mind the current that much, and do not mind the warm water.
And they always "stick" together. Looking beautifull.
(as you hear - I have them myself). And they don't eat youngsters.

Another possibility is the Carnegiella strigata. And they don't eat youngsters.

Best regards
Line
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Line wrote:Well- the red Neon (Paracheirodon axelrodi) do not mind the warm water. It's one of the other kinds, who prefers it colder. Innisi or simulans. Don't know it anymore.
Arent the red Neons the same as Cardinals?

Thanks, for all the replies... keep them coming if you have more! :D
Sounds like I'm going to go with Cardinal Tetras, it sounds like they are better suited for the Zebra enviornment then the Neons. I'd like to hear more differences if there are any.

Sounds like rummynose might be an option too. I might look into a few of those as well
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Hello

Here cardinals are Tanichthys albonubes, but who knows with differences in languages and so :?

Don't know how the quality is by you - but here the neons are often of too bad quality. They often dies.

Personally I would never again take neons again. The rummynoses are swimming a lot more beautifull.

Best regards
Line
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Oh ok...that makes sense about the different languages.

There is a store owner here that is absolutely obsessed with ALL his fish he sells. He is not like any other fish store. He cares about his fish so much and will not sell one that he has not properly quarantined and made strong.

He even quartines his Cardinal Tetras for a week or two, treating them with medication and making them strong again before he sells them. I will be getting from him even though his prices are higher than all the other fish stores. He charges $3 per Cardinal!