Hello from Ontario Canada

Hmmm...what else can I say!
kdmort

Hello from Ontario Canada

Post by kdmort »

Let me introduce myself. My husband and I have just opened an aquarium store in Burlington, Ontario. We are also just setting up a new aquarium for breeding Zebra Plecos as we cannot find any breeders locally. I will probably be asking many questions regarding our new set up. Also, if anyone has any unique fish that they are wanting to sell, we would be interested in purchasing for our store.
Thanks for reading
Wendy and Doug (kdmort)
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

:D welcome :D
John

Post by John »

Welcome kdmort :)

If you would be interested in commercial advertisement, we have a commercial section, just contact the Site Owner: Rob
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
nightowl1350
Groupie

Post by nightowl1350 »

Welcome to the forum

Nice to see a member that is less than 1,000 miles away from me! :lol:

I sent you a pm with a possible starting place for your search for zebras.
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

yeah... it is so hard to locate the pleco lovers (especially the Zebra's) in Canada... there are so few of us
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

A big welcome. :)
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

KnaveTO wrote:yeah... it is so hard to locate the pleco lovers (especially the Zebra's) in Canada... there are so few of us
Not really, there are much more of us than you suspect. I've seem close to around 50 WC grown zebra pleco wihin that last 5 years.
Let me see if I can remember them all:
After Ban:
- 25 from Big Al (Kennedy) just after the ban but before the official made the arrest for exporting zebras. This group where sold for $299 each. They where snapped up within a week. I dropped by to check them out, but didn't see any noticable female so didn't take my chances.
- 3 (but heard there where 5) from Big Al (Young and Steels), these where sold for $399 each, this was just a few months after the ban.
- 6 from BA (Y&S) again but before the ban. Priced at $199 each.
- 7 from a private collector for $200 each, I took the 2 visible females, they where full of eggs, hard not to notice. 1 of the male from this group was clearly L098 (wavely line), wish I had taken it, but no $$$$. I was completely drained of money and was selling my stocks to buy the zebras.
- 3 from a private collector for $500, I bought the all there here. Again, I sold more stocks to get the money...
- Dough W owns close to 14 WC zebras, and 1 F1 from me. (these I haven't seen)

Before Ban:
- 6 from PJ's (Scarborough Town center) for $150 each.
- another 7 from PJ's pet store again for $150 each (I got 2 from here)
- 1 from Managerie for $100 (this one I didn't buy, but was what started everything. I just took one look and that fatefull encounter took my breath away.)

So there is currently around ~72 WC zebras in Ontario. This, plus around 80 F1 from me and maybe another 50 F1 brought in from the states (Detroit).

And this is just from me seeing them, I've heard rumours of another 14 WC from other people talking about it, but because I didn't see them I won't count them in.
I know that before my time, there was another person in Ontario who actually succesfully breeds them. But because I was never able to track him down. I never did hear what happen to him or his zebras.
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

That is the thing... I know of 2 maybe 3 people in all of Canada that are sucessfully breading these beauties. Actually... question... when did the ban go into effect?