Intro and request for help

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Velcro

Intro and request for help

Post by Velcro »

Hi folks! My name's Shelley and I'm from always-sunny Vancouver, BC. I've had zebra's for over 15 years now and I just love them. I had an unfortunate experience last year when I set up a new 90 gallon tank for my clown loaches and two zebras. I was inpatient as usual and didn't cycle the tank properly before introducing the fish. Came home from work and almost all of my 8-10 year old loaches were dead and one zebra. The remaining zebra was on its side and not responding. I was certain it was dead, but put it in the hospital tank along with the remaining loaches, two botias and an old kuhli loach. The loaches died the next day, but the botias survived. The zebra was pretty messed up. It kept stuck on the side of the tank shaking. I've never seen anything like that before. I've kept it in the hospital tank along with the kuhli for the last year. It's so cool to walk up to the tank, and the zebra comes out of the driftwood, right up to me. I've had it for over 10 years now so he's an old-timer. Here's why I need help. I bought two kribensis a couple of weeks ago and because they were quite small, I figured they were too young to spawn. They were fine in the tank; kept to themselves and didn't even seem to notice the zebra or kuhli. I started to notice the zebra wouldn't come out when I turned on the lights. He was still moving around, but not as outgoing as he was. Yesterday, I noticed the male kribensis fighting with the zebra. I removed both kribensis immediately, but the damage had already been done to the zebra. Quite a bit of the black stripe on the left side is now white. I just finished doing a water change and I used my regular water conditioner that has aloe in it. Do you think there is something else I should do to prevent possible infection from the bites? And suggestions on what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated. Ten years is a long time - I've become quite attached to the little guy and he's been through so much I 'd hate to see a kribensis be the end of him. Sorry for being so long-winded on my first post!
John

Post by John »

Welcome Velcro :)

As long as the black stripe only turned white, he'll be allright.
If it turns red keep a close eye on him, separate if possible, and get back on this subject with clear pics of the wound.
Personally i use almond leaves after fights to prevent fungus on wounds and they also seem to have a curing capacity.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

:D Welcome :D
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Hi, you might want to add melafix to the tank to help him heal faster. Melafix also helps prevent the wounds from getting infected. It's a natural remedy so there are no side effects to it. I've used this on my zebras on many occasions.
Wow, that must have been a good 10 years to have a cutie like that to come out to greet you. I wish my zebras where even remotely like that.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Welcome to the site :)
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

i agree almond leaves ROCK :twisted:
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

First - Welcome :)

Just keep on top of tank maintenance - the loss of colouration is "normal" due to fighting...

When i get home I'll post a picture of our "alpha" female after adding a 2nd mature adult female, just to put your mind at rest. [edit] found the url - see below

Just out of curiosity, how big is he?

Here she is - Our hairy cave dwelling breeding female, now back to he normal stripy self ;)

Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi and welcome to the site :)
Russ, that looks nasty! Really hope it pulls through :(
These are beautiful little babes!
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

bonsai wrote:Hi and welcome to the site :)
Russ, that looks nasty! Really hope it pulls through :(
the photo was to illustrate that its nothing to worry about...
smithrc wrote:now back to her normal stripy self
:aok:
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Sorry about that Russ, was just shocked to see such a sorry state :(
These are beautiful little babes!
Velcro

Post by Velcro »

Thank you all so much for your replies. They were helpful (I've never even heard of almond leaves) as well as encouraging - Russ that's exactly what he looks like but not as bad as yours. I'll try to get a good shot of him, but he's always been camera shy! He'll come out to see me from the driftwood, but as soon as the flash goes off, he's gone. So that first one really has to count. How big is he? Well I'd have to say 3 inches long and in the last year since he's been in the hospital tank and not having to survive on left overs from the other fish, he's developed quite the blood worm girth - maybe half inch to 3/4 of an inch across. He's a chunky monkey.

All these many years later and I'm still haunted by the vision from my local fish store of a tank full of little baby zebras, and I mean FULL, for $25/each. It was a beautiful sight. If only I'd know then .......

Thank you all again.
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

If you are looking for almond leaves, it might be hard to find in Vancouver. You need to go to a specialty fish store to find them. Any store that specialize on Discus might carry some. But be prepare for the price though, "if I want to grow money on trees, I will most likely grow almond trees in Vancouver!"
But just a note, melafix does the same trick but minus the tanins and it's readily available at fish stores in Canada.
Velcro

Post by Velcro »

Good thing that you mentioned Discus. There's a dog grooming place here in Vancouver and one day I walked into the back with the owner to pick up my dog and saw tanks all over the place. I asked her what she was breeding and she said Discus so I had a look and they were spectacular. Imagine - in the back of a dog grooming facility the most beautiful Discus I have ever seen! I just called her and she has a couple leaves left - she's waiting for a new order so I'll pick them up tomorrow. Thanks for the advise - much appreciated. Scab-borough??!!!! Poor old underappreciated Scarborough!! Thanks again.