F1's how can you tell exactly?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.

Honestly who could tell an f1 from a f2 as it were i suppose.

yes
No votes
no
100%
Don't understand what an f1 is
No votes

Total votes: 13

siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

Barbie said "There's no real purpose to lying about this. F2 zebras would actually be more attractive to me, as they should be easier to spawn."

Posh bird said in the topic brazilian f1'sPosted: 01/04/07 Post subject: Brazilian F1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Hope I'm in the right place.Got the chance of buying some adult female zebs -
Brazilian F1 apparently. Need a second morgage to pay for them.
Any of you guys got these, or come across them before ?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Elaine

This was what they wanted for three fish,
they said they were female but that didn't seem to be 100%

No, they said just over 3''. At first they wanted £495 but dropped the price to £1200 for 3 females and would waive delivery charge ( big deal ).

Couldn't anyone with a wild caught breeding group claim to have Brazilian F1
young , or have I lost the plot completely ?

It seems to me she was going to pay £400 each for some fish just because they were supposed f1's.

I state again

Barbie said "There's no real purpose to lying about this. F2 zebras would actually be more attractive to me, as they should be easier to spawn."

I think that the shop had darn good reason for lying about this,
with no proof to prove there lying they can sell the fish as f0's f1's or what ever the hell they like.
siming1
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The way you quoted that text makes it a bit confusing as to who said what. Your point about them lying to sell the fish as F0 is what I was trying to clear up. I think they'd market MORE fish as F2 than F0, IMO, as tank raised, second generation zebras should be even EASIER to spawn in captivity. So why would lying be beneficial? If you're suspicious by nature, or you have reason to believe someone is willing to lie, that's one thing, but to just broad spectrum assume that everyone is lying because they can is a bit paranoid. These fish aren't all that common and those of us working with them tend to know quite a few others that are. There is a certain level of accountability in the community.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I agree with Barbie, that people who keep Zebras, know people who keep Zebras, and have ongoing relationships (Yes even me), and degrees of trust are built up.

Secondly, if you have male L46's an alternative approach may be to buy a group of juveniles and wait for the females to grow up.

I say this because one of the fish I have sold in the past, and this can be no more than 2 years old has bred. This female bred with a wild caught male.

Secondly, I bought a number of juvenile fish about 20 months ago, they were small, less than an inch, now the females are laden with eggs. The males are nowhere near maturity.

This could be a cheaper alternative.

Peace and Love to all

Dave
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Well, 3" put it around 2 or 2.5 years old. That means these zebras should be born around 2005/2006 period. It's possible if some one already owns some and manage to breed them just after the ban and have been force feeding them for the last 2 years or so.
However, if they where around 1" - 2", then I won't find it supprising that it's F1. F2 is a little bit of a stretch, I don't think there would be any F2 from Brazil as before the ban, it's cheaper to buy an adult zebra than to breed and raise your own.
Also, at the time of the ban. Zebra pleco breeding informantions and knowledge weren't as readily available. Only the occasion lucky breeding that happens once or twice a year.
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

Sorry for the confusion barbie and im not trying to get at any one goat but,
don't you think if the shop selling the zebras as just zebras and not F1's then the price tag would be lower?

You have even said your self that an F2 is going to be easier to breed so why should any one pay more for an F1?
Last edited by siming1 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siming1
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

An F1 would be easier to breed than an F0, so again, it's all in the eye of the person purchasing the fish. If you have your doubts, vote with your feet instead of your pocketbook and wait until you personally feel comfortable. Luckily we all have that option!

It's extremely easy to outcross your zebra group by doing nothing more than finding another hobbyist breeding them and swapping males. That way you both get a mature breeding male and an entirely fresh gene pool to work from. Especially if you're using him for fry you raised from the original spawning group and let a subdominant male step up and take over the main group. There are many ways of working this out. For some reason people get it in their mind that it's all a bunch of trade secrets and misinformation, when the truth is, it just takes patience to get them to spawn. I should know ;).

Not everyone in the world is dishonest and with these fish there are VERY few people having so much success they're making a quick buck out of it. It takes a long time to get the fry raised out to a sellable size even, and that's AFTER you get them to spawn in the first place!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

I know these fish take a long time to grow, ive got my third spawn from mine now this one being the most sucsessfull.
There are twelve in all and no fatalities yet.
Ive only had the adults about a year.
siming1
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Well said Barbie - I'd been trying to work your fist paragraph myself but failed to get my point across so didn't post :)

siming1, While the documentation idea is a great one - its too late for this to ever be put in place.
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

Fair enough.
:)
siming1
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Barbie hit the nail on the head. Zebras are not all that common in the hobby and it has not been until fairly recently that folks have been breeding them in captivity. So there has not been sufficient time for there to be many potential F2s. I doubt you can find very many F1 zebras which are currently being spawned let alone any F2s.

I have finally segregated a small group of my F1s with the intent of having them form the basis of a new breeding group. Hopefully in about 2-3 years I will have F2 fry.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.