Columnaris

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Rowland
Forum Follower

Columnaris

Post by Rowland »

Hi all

A great friend of mine is absolutely devastated. He purchased four juvenile zebs a few months back. After quarantine, they were put in with his baby grow out discus and seemed to be doing well. About a month ago one of them mysteriously died and then on wednesday all were found dead. He rushed off to a nearby vet who confirmed under microscope that columnaris bacteriawere very present.

What puzzles me is that he is one of the most knowledgeable and meticulous fish keepers I know with great attention to detail. His water parameters are always spot on and changes regular. From the evidence I have found, columnaris affect fish living in poor water conditions which in this case confuses me.

What I would like to know,
does anyone have any other ideas around this? Is there any safe treatment for L046 with columnaris, should you see it in time?
John

Post by John »

Hi,

Don't think it was a wise idea to put small zebs with outgrowing discus.

A safe med would be: BINOX
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have always treated comunaris with Eryhtromycin (an antibiotic) with excellent results. I have never had problems using this med. However, I have never had to treat any of my zebra tanks for disease so far so I can't tell you 100% if is safe for them. However, should the need arise I would feel fairly confident using it.

I have Binox on the shelf and have used it for a severe external problem with discus once. I have not had cause to use it again. If I remember correctly it is a mix of sodium chloride and nitrofurizone.

If you want some interesting information about bacterial disease and treatment in fish take a look at this from the Univ of Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA084
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

Hi

It was a very sad day. As Rowland pointed, bad water conditions but where was I going wrong, all my water is treated and polished outside in containers and if the water prams are not the same, it does not enter my tanks. I have a strong hygiene in husbandry and this has really broken my heart. Here are some pic’s where they were staying,

I was keeping a log of growth and noticed a pink tummy,

This is what he looked like when I took him out

kind regards
Peter
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

I thing its strange i haf bare bottom 540 liters tank with discus and 5 young Zebs.Work really good and they got really fat beacuse of all beefheart that a gave the discus.They were and is really healthy today and this was 1 year ago..
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

That looks really HORRIBLE, poor little mite :cry: I hope none of the other fish get the same thing, did you treat the tank after you found out what it was that caused this :(
These are beautiful little babes!
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

Hi Edlund

This was my thought. They would benefit from the feeding schedule. I now “had” in my possession what I have been dreaming of for as long as I can remember with great expectations of growing them out and eventually breeding them, so imo this would be a perfect place for them.

Hi bonsai

I had to find out the cause, (the speculation of possibilities would be the death of me) I was devastated and was the last thing I expected to hear from the vet… in fact, I was way off base to what I thought the problem was. I salt dipped my entire discus collection and put them into a new 4 foot while I cleaned out my central with a heavy dose Potassium Permanganate.

Kind regards
Peter
nick
Forum Follower

Post by nick »

Hey

Hi sorry about your fish.

Signs of Infection a white film covers the body, mainly on the head but also on the fins and gills. The body of the fish becomes ulcerated and the fins frayed. In the latter stages of infection parts of the lips and head may become eaten away. Columnaris is caused by the bacteria Flexibactor columnaris. It is highly contagious and can spread rapidly via contaminated nets and other aquarium equipment. The bacteria can enter the fish through any small grazes or wounds where upon the signs of infection detailed above develop. Treatment must be administered quickly as fish usually die within 24 hours. Some anti-bacterial medications can be effective and again the addition of salt to the water may be beneficial. Aquarium equipment should be disinfected using the same medication. The best cure is prevention - maintain a clean environment for your fish.

Im sorry to say but I think that your Discus passed it on they would get infected first.
There is little columnaris in the drinking water in JHB, are your storage drums out side in the sun? and how long does the water stand before you use it?
if it is to be then its up to us!
Small.Fry

Post by Small.Fry »

Hi Nick

The containers are in the shade and water is aged 24/48 hours before use.
What kills me, I didn’t notice any signs to what you described and what’s painful, my tanks are as clean…I did however, lose 5 discus spawns prior, which had me guessing why at the time and agree, they must have got it from them.

Point me to the nearest cliff….

Kind regards
nick
Forum Follower

Post by nick »

Hi Small fry

We all learn from our mistakes that’s what they are there for. Im sorry about the Discus fry, But I Forgot to mention that all Catfish are prone to Columnaris, the little plecs could have been born with it. The cause could also be caused by stress.
I wish you all the luck with the next Batch of Zebra plecs.

Nick
if it is to be then its up to us!