Shipping/posting

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

sam
Obsessed!!

Shipping/posting

Post by sam »

Has anyone had any experience of shipping/posting Zebras?
I was just wondering what is the best temperature for shipping, I have done a test and managed to mainain a temp of 70c do you think this is ok? or should it be higher?
Any help wll be appreciated
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have shipped young zebras to several folks this year. All have been sent via an overnight carrier.

I always use heat packs, even in the summer. Zebs will be much better off in 90F than 70F.

Fish are always double bagged individually. I do not use oxygen but do shoot for a 1/3 water to 2/3 air ratio in the bag. I also add a very small amount of Amquel to the water for all fish I ship.

Of 35 zebs shipped, there was only one loss and we determined that it was the result of an injury I inadvertantly caused during netting and bagging.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

In My experiences of recieving fish through shipping/ postage all occasions have been fine.
Like TwoTankAmin mentioned, mine have all arrive single bagged and in my experiences have had two or three heat packs in amongst the bags within a polystyrene box, enclosed in a cardboard box with either foam or newspaper for extra packing/ insulation. They are usually sent via royal mail or parcelforce with guaranteed next day delivery before 12 mid day.
so when posted arround evening time the night before at longest they will be in their box for 18ish hours. With sufficient air to water ratios in their bags and a couple of heat packs they will easile last this journey/ length of time.
However older l46 are often not as easy to to ship and seem (in my experience and others i have heard from) fry and younger l46 will travel better.
Obviously all of this depends on how carfull the courriers are with the box/ package, and praying they dont loose the shipment, the fish will usually be perfectly fine and i have had no trouble with shipping them arround in the UK.
Unfortunately most courriers/ services wont allow you to insure as they are classed as live animals or fry so if they are D.O.A you cant claim a penny back, so it all comes down to can you afford to risk it, or do you want to face responsibility of accidently killing some of the worlds rarest and most beautiful fishes?

Saying all of this i have a large adult male arriving from scotland tomorow morning, that was posted out earlier this evening. i will let you know tomorow the outcome of this shipment and post some pics.

Cheers & safe posting, Jamie. 8)
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

So as said, recieved my male this morning, via overnight postage from Scotland to Devon. All was fine, fish warm and healthy, heatpacks still hot!

Just some pics aswell...
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

Thanks for all your help, I feel a lot more confident about posting them now.
I'll let you know how I get on
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I've not posted Zebs - But have sold and posted out 20+ plecs.

All in poly boxes - single (or double bagged depending on the plec and size)
normally with one heat pack. with a "bag buddy" added to the water in the bag to calm and remove ammonia. then padded out with newspaper or poly insulation.

I've not lost a single plec yet. (Touch wood - 6 more go out on Wednesday)

Its starting to get a bit cold in the UK now though - wrap them up warm folks :)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]