Help please! Sick plecko and fish die off

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

Angie

Help please! Sick plecko and fish die off

Post by Angie »

Hi,
I'm new here and really could use some help with my fish. I have a sick plecko, (and other fish.......platy, catfish). I added 2 platys a week ago and now my fish are dying off.
They have ich, peeling skin, not eating, fin rot slightly.
I have removed them all from the tank.
What meds should I use? Maracide?
Should I treat my 40gal. tank, or tear it down and start over? It's been up and running fine for over 6 years.
I am so angry and not sure what treatment to use on my fish.
Any help much appreciated.
TIA
Angie :(
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Hi Angie,

First, filling out your location in your profile would make this MUCH easier. Without knowing what country you hail from, it's going to be difficult to tell you which meds you can find available to you.

Second, how long has the tank been up? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Are you adding anything to the water? When did you last do a water change? What is the temperature? How many fish are in the tank total? Why would you remove the fish from the tank they were in? If they're all sick and you're going to have to treat them, you might as well treat the tank! All moving them will accomplish is more stress and losses, IMO. A quarantine tank can save most of this frustration, in the future.

I'd love to help, but I'm going to need a lot more information to have any idea where to start, sorry.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Angie

Post by Angie »

Hi Barbie,
Sorry, I was in a hurry to post, as the fish were dying fast. I live in Canada. The 30 gal. tank has been up and running over 5 years, no problems. Water tested perfect. I only have 3 fish that haven't died. A platy, catfish and neon. My plecko died this morning. He was over 5 years old. I added a pair of platys a week ago, they must have been carrying something.

I have torn down and disinfected my 30 gal., going to start over, unfortunately. The store recommended Lifeguard all in one for the 3 surviving fish.
Thanks for any help :)
Angie