Breeding L129s

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

816johnv
Forum Follower

Breeding L129s

Post by 816johnv »

Hi All,

Has anyone got any tips or ever bred L129s i have a group of 5 that i bought of smithrc that he tell me are over 4 years old and was wondering if any one here has bred them or has any tips that might help trigger them, how many caves i should have in there for them any advice would be great. Russell said he thinks i have 3 to 2 ratio but which way he isnt sure and i certanly arnt lol

i know these arnt L046 but there must be someone who can help please.

thanks

John
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

While I have not spawned your specific plec, I have done a few others. Plecos are pretty much are similar in this respect.

Step one is to condition- this means stuff em with food. Since 129 is an omnivore, be sure this includes protein rich foods. You should be stuffing them for a good week or two.

Step two is to skip a water change during the period of conditioning. This will sort of simulate dry season conditions.

Step three is to try and time a large water change (50% or more) to coincide with the onset of a storm. The key is the barometric pressure change that comes with a good rain/storm. While many say the new water should be much cooler than the tank water, I have had success with just having it be cleaner and not doing the cooler part. This doesn't mean cooler doesn't help.

In terms of caves, several is better. More than they would use. Be sure to spread them out some so the males can stake out caves in different territories. The males should take up residence in their own caves.

After that its up to nature to take its course. GL
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
816johnv
Forum Follower

Post by 816johnv »

Thanks for the reply i will give it a go