Just curious!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

smegga
Groupie

Just curious!

Post by smegga »

I just wounder how old your Zebras was when they breed for the first time?

This will help me with my study on the middle breeding age!!!

Sorry for my English..
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi smegga, good question to ask. Some of the members here have told me at about 3 yrs, I've had my girls (you will find a photo of them in the Lounge) for 5 or more and they've told me they should be ready! Hope this is of some help, and good luck with the breeding!
These are beautiful little babes!
smegga
Groupie

Post by smegga »

Thanks for your answer,

I want moore answers, Everyone on this forum that had breed l046 PLZ.

How old was your L046 when they breed for the first time....

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question! :P

I want at least 10 replys.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I want you to put your location in your profile Please, as it's one of our rules ;).

With that said, I have no idea how old my zebras were when they started spawning. They were wild caught and I'm only just getting fry grown out large enough to add back to the main colony. Sorry I'm not more help ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Same here - Wild caught... they were in "captivity for about 5.5 years before I got them to breed (4 years with previous owner then 18 months with me ;))
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi guys on a slightly different note, could you tell me what temperature they should be at? (to get them to breed) that is :roll: I've been told to turn the heater up a notch, but haven't been told by how much! Wouldn't like to harm the little cuties after all! :roll:
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I got mine as proven breeders from a person who had them as wilds for about 4+ years. My guess would be they started spawning at age 4-5 years.

As for temp, my first spawn came at 90 degrees F. I keep the spawning tank at 86F and have had another 21-22 spawns at that temp.

Fry in growout tanks are kept a couple degrees cooler.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi TT, can the eggs be left in the tank with the guppies and parents? Only ask because it will be difficult to try catching the parents/eggs in the tank that their in at the min? At the moment, the male has decided that one of the caves is his, and won't let anything else near! Cheers
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Well kept tankbred fish can start spawning at 3-4 years of age, for wildcuaght there's really no way of telling for sure, as you don't know how old they are when caught :) I would still venture a guess at 4-5 years of age, like TTA said.
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi Eve, so there's a chance mine could start breeding soon :yahooscream: I will try to get a pic of the slate-caves Dad has made them sometime :wink: Wonder if Ed want to nick the idea?