Zebra plecs in a new discus tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

James3200

Zebra plecs in a new discus tank

Post by James3200 »

This looks like the best place for my questions :)

I am in the process of setting up a new planted 800lt discus tank and have always like the idea of zebra plecs. The tank will have a large sand foreground, with quite a bit of driftwood with java ferns attached. The tank will be heavily planted.

Due to it being a discus tank, the water is getting changed frequently, automatically really, and around 150lt per day will be changed, with pure ro water and a mix of buffers to re-mineralise.

I will of course be adding them after the tank has been setup for a few months, but the tank should mature fairly quickly as il be seeding the filters with a few mature ones and part of the substrate will also be from an existing tank, no fish will go in until ready

As for stock, there will be around 6 or so adult discus, 40 or so cardinals and a few adolfi corys. Temp will be around 28-29c, no3 < 10, kh - 1-3, ph around 6.5

Do many people keep them in such tanks? I know the preferable setup is a breeding one, but if they are happy in such a tank then that could be sufficient to keep them happy and hopefully spawn them too? So anyone keep them like this successfully in a discus tank?

Many thanks,
James
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Discus should work fine, but I'm not so sure I'd want to keep other bottom dwelling fish with them. Remember they don't compete well for food.
James3200

Post by James3200 »

OK well that is promissing, i now need to find a breeder near me (london area). Regards the corys, there are only 3 at the moment, i would probably get another 3, with the amount of mess discus make
:evil: i am sure there must be enough food for all of them.

I have had a read of this forum now and it is quite a regular question, so off i go to do more reading!

James
James3200

Post by James3200 »

Few more questions now!

I have the chance to buy a few young zebras and they will be getting there own tank now until i get a few to breed then they can go into my discus tank.

From what i have read, a bare bottom tank is ideal and caves. Anyone got a link for a good set? Also how many would be best? I would have 6 zebras.

I guess it is going to be a while for them to breed from 2", what size / how long till they become mature?

I would be using pure RO water & seachems equilibrium, so ph around 6.5, kh 3, ideal?

The tank they will be in would be a 3' so should be a good size for them from what i have read.

Any feedback, much appreciated

James