just a idea

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
civicr
Obsessed!!

just a idea

Post by civicr »

what it is that when i feed my zebs a prawn,i weight it down with a bit lead but it means the next day i need to fish it out,

is it safe to use fishing line?? i was going to attatch the line to the lead weight so when its tome to pull it out you just pull the line up with prawn an lead attached

basicly is fishing line safe to use in my tank thanks ryan
John

Post by John »

Hi Ryan,

It would be convenient i think, but imo the risk of one of your fish getting tangled up in the line is there, so therefore i would not use it.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
civicr
Obsessed!!

zeb

Post by civicr »

hey john not heard from yopu in a while.prob me tho no posting much on the site these days,im just so busy

i understand your point with the tangling issue,never thought about that,im just consernd about keep putting my hands in the tank.anyways in 3 weeks ill be moving house and the zebs will 2.so ill gets pics and sez a few of them hehe
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Zebras have died being entangled in lines and rubberbands in tanks before. I would never risk it
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I soak my prawns for 5 minuets in tepid water before I add to the tank it then sinks to the bottom and stays on the bottom no need to weigh it down at all :lol:
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
civicr
Obsessed!!

zeb

Post by civicr »

thats what i do its just i dont like having to fis th prawn out after words incase of contaminating the tank i prob always have engine oil or gel or somthing on my hands even tho i do was them always be hand
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How about using a long thin stick? a scewer of some sort? stick it into the prawn in one end, and let the other end rest in one of the corners, maybe use a suction cup to make sure it doesn't fall into the water? :)
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I used the frozen cooked shrimp and slightly thawed it. It sinks quickly for me. Unfortunately, my zebs don't seem to care for it, though the Red Cherry Shrimps do.
martj
Groupie

Post by martj »

hi civicr I don`t know if you can find this over in scotland but you can maybe look for they here a link of what I`m talkin about
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=3871 :)
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

Whats wrong with a good old fashoned net? :dunno:
siming1
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

Actually my understanding with regards to fishing line is that you need to add some weight to the line in the tank and out of the tank. That way there is less chance of the pleco getting caught up in it. It is likely that they can injure themselves with the fishing line when there is no weight and thus can be entangled into easily
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Bad idea, don't leave a fish line in the tank. It's actuall very easy for a pleco to get tanggle in the line. I've lost a female that wayt from a 2 year old forgotten nylon string that broke free from my driftwood. It was a grim death.
nightowl1350
Groupie

Post by nightowl1350 »

I would stay away from anything like fishline or thread in with any plecos.

Not the same, but my long fin albino male had something stuck in his sucker mouth and was acting funny. I netted him and found a thread like item stuck and did get it out, He was fine, but I'm not sure if it could have killed him in the end. I would rather be safe than sorry and with your precious zebras I would never tank the chance.