good news today!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Pleco-Fan

good news today!

Post by Pleco-Fan »

just woke up to find my female trapped in a cave, its been around 4 weeks since she last spawned and i noticed she was getting fat and frisky! im particlary happy as iv had a few fry from the last batch die suddenly over the past 2 weeks and it was starting to depress me! iv just read through the "fry mysteriously dying" thread and i too have a feeling it was down to bacterial build up as i had my fry in a floating trap for nearly 2 months before i lost any. i have now moved my fry to a small tank and (fingers crossed) i havent had any more deaths.

hopefully il have my 2nd successful spawn this time!

p.s are lobster eggs ok for fry? i havent bought any before so i dont know how big they are!

cheers.

PF
PLECO LIST:

L046
L134
L262
L174
L191
L273
John

Post by John »

Sorry to hear you lost some :(
Personally i brush out the complete breeder (floor,ceilings,furniture etc.)almost every day using a small paintersbrush, you get somewhat clouded water afterwards and then syphon that out till it's clear again, i have good experience using that method.
A good flowthrough of fresh water in your breeder is also essential.
As for food imo lobster eggs is a perfect food for young zebs, i also use frozen baby artemia.

Good luck!
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Sorry to hear of your losses :cry:

I had no problems moving dad & cave into a 60 litre tank & fry are doing great in there, easy to clean everyday! :)
Last edited by Stevie.K on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleco-Fan

Post by Pleco-Fan »

update:

the male is sitting on a very large bundle of eggs that are due to hatch by my reckoning tonight as they we're laid 4.5 days ago :lol:

also since i moved the other fry out of the trap and into a small tank with some sand iv had no more losses and they seem to be doing really well. i definatley think bacteria built up on the trap and started to take its toll....
PLECO LIST:

L046
L134
L262
L174
L191
L273
John

Post by John »

Congrats pleco-fan, good luck on this batch!
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Indeed, congratulations :D . Hope this batch turns out better for you.

Plastic Mac