Substrate

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Which type of substrate should I use for a 100g tank dedicated to the breeding of a colony of zebras?

Sand
62%
Gravel
No votes
bare-bottom
38%

Total votes: 29

jojo4rmdabronx

Substrate

Post by jojo4rmdabronx »

Hi I was debating whether to go BB or substrate. After taking into account the different possibilities, I've decided to use sand. I feel that it will make them feel more at home and secure. It also Would be a waste to not utilize a 100 gallon to its full potential.

Can any of you describe the different types of fine sand and/ gravel?

Also specify brand and colour please.

Thanks, and as always any advice is greatly appreciated. :P
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

I would use a thin layer of sand, probably tahittian moon sand or if you wanna be cheap Pool filter sand. Bare bottom would be my second choice since it's easier to clean but a 100g wouldn't be my first choice breeder size tank.

Did you already have some breeders or are you growing them out? I would be intrested along with another Houston member in getting a few if you have breeders.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
jojo4rmdabronx

Post by jojo4rmdabronx »

Why is it a dissadvantage to breed in a 100g? no actually, I'm just researching right now and getting my tank set up perfectly before i get some. I too am looking for some zebras around me. I dont feel like ordering them from online as it gets risky when each specimen can cost up to $400. Are there any breeders around you that are willing to sell any?
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

I think the 100g would make it harder for the zebras to find each other and it would also be more trouble if you decide to "play" god and add RO water to simulate rain season.

Either way has it's pros/cons.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's a disadvantage if you get fry. They seem to get lost in a large tank and do better in say 120L. Easier for them to find food.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Use a tank divider to reduce the space they have if they're getting 'lost'. Then if and when you have fry you can always move them into the second half of the tank to keep them seperate.

I'd personally recommend using substrate only when you have adults, once you have fry I'd remove it asap.
siming1
Groupie

bb

Post by siming1 »

i would say having no substrate at all is the best as is 100% easier to maintain i have just removed my sustrate and my alpha male has the female in the back of the cave as i write this message fingers crossed for my second successfull spawn cheers siming1
siming1
bestfish

Post by bestfish »

i agree that a bare bottom is the best as it is easiest to clean an the fish seem not to mind too much. thanks.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Basically it's your preference.

IMO, BB maybe easier to clean, but looks plain.

I like a sandy like substrate, because it looks more natural.

Zebras in a planted tank with RCS (Red Cherry Shrimps) and other shrimps are easier to maintain, since no cleaning is required.

I keep zebras in a planted tank with LOTS of RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp), Bamboo shrimp, Amano shrimps, and otos. All I really do is just perform water changes in the tank and not mess with the gravel vacs. The shrimps eat up any detritus on the substrate. The mulm in the substrate helps the plants.