Safe medicine for internal parasite, pop-eye

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

blueblue
Obsessed!!

Safe medicine for internal parasite, pop-eye

Post by blueblue »

Are there any safe medicines for respectively treating internal
parasites, and pop-eye in zebra? I suspect that a newly acquired
zebra has internal parasites and its right eye has got a bit pop-up...
i have already isolated it and i am deeply worrying about it :(
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

(Is waterlife's Myxazin safe for treating zebra's pop eye?)
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Hi blueblue,

First questions, so others who can get a better picture of your tank conditions:

- Please tell us the stats of your tank:

Ammonia level
Nitrite level
Nitrate level
pH

Size of tank, filtration (media in filtration)

How often do you do water changes?

And possible pictures of the sick zebra.

All this basic information would really help us better understand the zebra's environment and possibly the cause of the illness.

Is the zebra in an isolated tank by itself? If not and it's showing signs of illness, for the sake of your other zebras I would move the zebra carefully to a different tank to be by itself and heal.

- Angela
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

Thanks Angela for your comments. The sick fish has been placed in an isolated and independent tank, and i have used waterlife's myxazin (half dose) to treat it. After keeping fish for years, i now seldom check the water parameters much (the testing kit is gone already) while i now exchange 1/4 of the water in the tank (a bare tank) with distilled water everyday. i suppose the water will neither be too acidic nor alkaline... :)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Distilled water has no buffering capacity or other necessary minerals. You are literally killing the fish with kindness at this point. If the pH crashes with your unbuffered water your zebra will almost certainly die. Adding buffers or enough tap water to keep it stable should definitely be somewhere to start!

I'm not familiar with the products you have available there, but I would definitely recommend treating the fish with a broad spectrum antibiotic. The parasites won't cause popeye will and most fish carry a certain load anyway, but the bacterial infection can kill him in short order.

I've had fish for a long time. I still test the water when something is wrong with the fish and occasionally I find that there's been a trace of ammonia or nitrite due to filtration issues. Definitely you should always test, just in case, so you know what you're NOT worrying about, if that makes sense.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

Thanks Barbie.
Do you have some specific anti-biotics to recommend me to try?
Both the names of the drugs and the branded products will be all good.
*chris*

Post by *chris* »

id use some metronidizole generally fixs things pretty quickly as for the internal womrs levimisole will fix that up but be careful with both remedies soem catties dont take kindly to overdose even in the slightest with both of these remedies
and of course dont try dose up both at once
cheers
chris :)