Skinny Zebra

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

wandj
Obsessed!!

Skinny Zebra

Post by wandj »

Hi. I thought I had added a mature male to my group to add some competition to the male already there. I noticed that the male I just addded is VERY skinny. I looke at him closely and I'm starting to wonder if "he" is a "she" because "he" has much shorter hairs on the cheeks. "He" is full grown and I have seen him/her eat. Eyes look normal. Maybe the fish is old. Can an old fish look really skinny? Do you think it can be worms? ???
Aside from the sunken belly, the fish looks good. Very dark bands of black, very pretty other than the belly. I will try to take pics tomorrow.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Wandj

is the fish relatively new? Is so, have you seen it put on any weight, or lose any weight. If it sticks to the side of the glass try and get a picture of its underside.

It may just be taking a little time to acclimatise.

As for older fish, I have a female that refuse to put on weight, but she, (touch wood) is just fine, and one of my regular spawners.

Phot's would help.

cheers
Rob
:lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Pic of her.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi

That is a seriously thin plec! :shock:

I doubt it is because the fish is old. It looks like either the fish is unwell in some way and therefore not eating, or it has worms.

Cheers

Tom
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi

Definately Looks like there is something wrong, especially if you have seen her eating.

I'm not a huge fan of treatments but (as I'm using some Huey Hung Treatments for my L205) Huey Hung has a treatement for internal parasites that may come in handy.

Try separating the fish into a hospital tank, upping the temp slightly (to about 84-86) and adding a very light salt solution. Be careful with the salt solution as the zebra takes a great deal of time to reaclimatise to a non-salt environment.

If she is eating , yet still losing weight, it would suggest a worm or internal parasite of some sort, in which case a treatment would definately be required. ( I think thre is a Huey Hung H6 for internal parasites)

Good luck,

rob
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Hi all. That pic was taken a few weeks ago. Since then, I have dewormed all my fish with some flakes I bought from Florida Guppies-Plus (located in Miami). The drug in the flake food is Albendazole. I caught her on the glass just tonight and at first I thought it was a different fish. I swear her belly is not sunken-in anymore. Before I medicated, I could see all these weird, long lines running the length of her underside (maybe her tendons) or something and I am sure she has put on weight. As of right now, her belly looks flat and I think she looks pretty good. I really don't know what it was, but that medicated flake food may have done the trick. Thank you all for your advice...I think you were right and she is not just a granny. If she actually gets fat, I will post it here...hopefully with a pic, but you know how slow it goes with film camera. I still have a half roll sitting on the desk and nothing to take a picture of.
Cheers.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Wandj

Glad to hear things are looking better. By the sounds of things, your zebra probably did have an internal parasite of some sort. Hopefully the medication you used will have done the trick.

Let us know how she gets on

Rob
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

I finally got my other roll developed. This is a better pic of her before I treated her.

wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Here is a pic of her underside before treatment. So slow with film, sorry. Do you see the crooked fins? This is another wonderful prime captive bred fish. (NOT!)
She is looking much better now though.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

That looks alot better Wandj

Just keep doing what your doing.

Looks like she has taken a bit of a beating around the pelvic fins at some point. Nothing to worry about though, they have healed up well.

Keep fattening her up, and I'm sure she will do you proud.

rob