zebs in a community tank?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

litchy1986

zebs in a community tank?

Post by litchy1986 »

hi, im new to zebs but have seen a few now on the net, but i need more information before i go ahead and buy anything!!!
i have a huge community setup currently running, it well planted, absolutely rammed with hiding places, and currently has allsorts in it, other plec cory's, gourami's, and the usual suspects you would normally find in a peaceful com tank.
i would love to find out more about keeping zebs with the intention to breed from them due to the current issues with importing, but i need to gather as much info as possible, i.e, water parameters, perfect breeding temps (29 seems to pop up a lot!) and any good hints and tips on feeding/ keeping happy! the tank currently is running at about 26 degrees and everything i put in it seems to be in a major hurry to breed so i must be doing something right.....! are there any fish i should avoid at all costs? do they seem to do better in a group or pairs? any answers would be greatly appreciated!!!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

hi litchy1986, and welcome to the forum :)

Start by reading this: http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php there's just that little background info you need ;) Browsing the other pages on the site is also a good idea.

Zebras ae not good fish for a community tank, due to their special enviromental needs, and breeding them is best, even required, in a species tank.
litchy1986

Post by litchy1986 »

wow, thanks for that, loads of info! looks like a species tank is in order then, they are pretty stunning looking fish! ive just got to sort out a good setup now.....