What do you feed when there's babies in the tank?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Mindy
Mentally Certified!

What do you feed when there's babies in the tank?

Post by Mindy »

With the obvious risk of choking babies on things like bloodworm, I was wondering what everyone else fed their adults when there's babies present? I'd like to keep up a high standard of food, but am afraid to put too much meaty food in because of the babies. But I wonder about how well they'll do on prepared foods (pellets, etc) alone. I would say the main staple of their diet right now is catfish pellets and high protein granular food, which the babies do really seem to like. Just wondered what others fed when there's little babies in the tank.
John

Post by John »

I feed granular and frozen: artemia,daphnia and lobster eggs
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I feed everything I would normally feed the adults, except black or bloodworms. Daphnia, Cyclopeeze, NLS grow pellets, Hikari sinking wafers, Tetra color bits, and even flake food.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I feed pellets, granular food, daphnia, cyclops, red plankton, hikari wafers etc.
I've never fed them bloodworm, but then I don't use brine shrimp and other large meaty foods either as when i've tried it before...i have often woken up the next day with one of two dead fry who I can only assume have choked on the food.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I feed Hikari carnivore tabs, ZM fry feed 200/300/400, ZM discus feed, Cyclopeeze, Hikari first bites, frozen baby brine shrimp, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, Tetra Pro and Tetra Prima. Pretty much everything I feed the adults minus blood worms and the larger frozen shrimps such as Gamma, krill and Mysis. I generally stick with the dry foods due mainly to the high protein content.

Adam
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Thanks for all the responses. I was concerned about feeding mainly dry prepared foods (pellets and whatnot). I want to make sure they're getting enough protein and didn't know if the prepared foods were sufficient for this, but it would seem that it is judging by your answers. I do still feed the smaller frozen foods (like daphnia) but I am unsure how much gets eaten and how much ends up in the filter, and so want to make sure that I can feed something that I know will stay put long enough to get eaten.

Incidentally, though my guys will happily eat pellets, they tend to leave catfish wafers, like the hikari ones, etc. I have no idea why!

I'm feeding a granular high protein food at the moment, because the pieces are very small and perfect for fry. They all seem to love it.

Thanks again guys... you're very helpful. 8)