zeb / discus tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

lawrie909
Forum Follower

zeb / discus tank

Post by lawrie909 »

i am just making a new tank for incoming 9 zebs. i keep a large discus tank aswell , and want to put one pair of breeding discus in with my new zeb tank . how much current is needed for the zebs to breed ( i intend to use powerhead internal filter , as it will be in my bedroom , and want minimum mess .... will the needed current be too much for my discus to breed? let me know please if you do!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I have never bred Discus, but from what I hear the current needed for Zebras are too much for Discus. Creative landscaping might aid with quiet pockets for the Discus, but I don't know how it would work when the Discus have fry...

A turnover of minimum 6 is recommended for Zebras, but some people have as high as 20. In my opinion dissolved oxygen is more important than the current itself, but a high current is one means of achieving a high level of oxygen in the tank.
lawrie909
Forum Follower

turnover

Post by lawrie909 »

what do you mean by turnover?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You find the turnover rate (how much sirculation you have in the tank) by
1: what capacity does your filter and power heads have together?
2: What capacity does your tank have?

Add the numbers in point 1 and divide with the number in point 2.

For instance: your filter have a capacity of 400L/h and you have a powerhead of 900L/h and your tank is 250L

400+900 : 250 = 5,2

Your turnover rate is 5,2
rickylbc
Groupie

Post by rickylbc »

Thanks for the chart there McEve, does that mean I have almost 18 times turn over having a 400 GPH power head and a 300 GPH filter for a 40 gallon tank?
lawrie909
Forum Follower

flow/ filter

Post by lawrie909 »

if i was 2 use 2 eheim 2212 internal filters in 175ltr tank, is it best to have them at same end with flow same direction, or opposite end/ opposing flows?
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

i used to keep my zebs with a pair of discus in a 120litre tank with a external fluval FX5 creating a turnover of 29.16 times per hour , it wasnt long before i could tell the discus hated it! Zebras are commonly found in fast flowing stretches of river with discus more commonly congregating in much slower moving areas. keep your tank fast flowing for the zebs and leave the discus were they are :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

rickylbc wrote:Thanks for the chart there McEve, does that mean I have almost 18 times turn over having a 400 GPH power head and a 300 GPH filter for a 40 gallon tank?
400 + 300 : 40 = 17,5 :)
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

have as many different flow directions as possible, the zebs will love the quite turbulent movement of the water
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Discus and zebras can be mixed just as long as you are not trying to get either to spawn. The flow needs to be slowr than zebs like and more than discus prefer.

btw- discus would simply love zebra fry for dinner.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

TwoTankAmin wrote: btw- discus would simply love zebra fry for dinner.
Are the Discus fast enough to get a Zeb fry? They look rather docile, having a body not exactly buildt for speed..? :)
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

i dont think the zeb fry would be in risk of being eaten.
if you reduced the flow within your tank you could keep zebs and discus together" no problem ". the zebs wouldnt be overly fussed about the lack of flow, but they wouldnt be 100% happy either :( If you want to breed your zebs then why complicate things by having to take other fishes needs into account. If your gunna go for it then create an environment perfectly suited to your zebs and keep them on their own.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Hi Folks

I would not advise the mixing of the 2.

While the two will mix (Agree with McEve that oxygen content more important than water flow) you will be giving neither optimum conditions.

IMO Zebras are naturally nocturnal, Discus are not.

So feeding just before lights out for the Zebras and during the day for the Discus will double the bio load.

Optimum water conditions are required to breed and raise both.

As for conditioning a nocturnal fish to eat during the day it is possible.

Currently I keep a colony of L400's ( Which are considerably bigger than Zebras) with 5 Adult Discus, they will not venture out since the Discus were placed in the tank. So I don't think the conditioning is likely.

Take care

Dave
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I had a duo of discus eliminate an entire spawn of bristle nose- some 50-75 young- in about a week. The bn were free swimming and out of the cave about 2 -3 weeks.

I actually have a tank with a discus duo and what I assume are a zebra duo ( no spawns the one is the cave owner and ther other lives along side I have had this tank set up this way since April of 06.

Closeup of the zebs and their corner of the tank-
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.