shrimp

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

flip1987
Groupie

shrimp

Post by flip1987 »

I just noticed a shrimp in my zebra tank. I must have put it in by accident. Is this a problem?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

do you think it might have come there hitchiking with a plant? most shrimps don't pose a danger to the Zebras :) And certainly not one single small one with no claws. I'm assuming now, but you'll use your common sense :D
flip1987
Groupie

Post by flip1987 »

It came from my shrimp tank but I dont know how it got there... I didn't think it would harm them but better to be safe then sorry, right? :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't think it will cause any harm to the zebras, but if you have a shrimp tank why not move him back? he might be happier together with his mates :)
flip1987
Groupie

Post by flip1987 »

I tried to move him back but it isn't easy to catch a little shrimp in a "big" tank...
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

If the shrimp is a cherry red shrimp or crystal red shrimp, you may want to move him back because they cannot withstand the high warm temps of the zebra pleco environment.

If the shrimp is an algae eating shrimp, then he should be fine. I have six algae eating shrimp in my zebra tank.

Depends what kind of shrimp he is and if you don't mind him possibly becoming food for the zebs or other fish in the tank :)

Btw, algae eating shrimp and golden nuggets do not get along...they were an expensive snack!! lol!

- Angela
flip1987
Groupie

Post by flip1987 »

It's a red cherry shrimp, I'll try to move him back tomorrow.

Would zebras eat baby shrimp? And would this be healthy for them?
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

I seriously doubt the zebras will eat any live shrimp....I have amano shrimp in with my zebras to help eat the leftovers or vice-versa.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

I've got 4 bamboo shrimps in with my zebras, and they don't seem to bother them :) Just keep an eye on the shrimps. And if they do start playing up, then remove them back to their tank!
These are beautiful little babes!