Water Changes?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ZebMan
Groupie

Water Changes?

Post by ZebMan »

How often do you folk's perform a water change? I'm doing 25% every 3 days. That sound alright? :o
reticulata
Forum Follower

Post by reticulata »

In all my tanks I do at least a change twice a week. Depending upon the species is how much and the temp. For my cory breeders I use straight tap cold water and 40-50% change. For my plecos including my zebras I do 30-40% and the temp is close to the tank temp. I've been told cold water changes trigger spawning for plecos but mine (except my zebras, a little young yet) are already breeding.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am probably at the other end of the spectrum. I have 3 tanks with zebs- a 30B for breeding and then a 10 and 15 for for growout. The 30B and 15 get a once a week wc of about 40%. The 10 I try to do twice a week but I would say I only manage 2x/week every other week. I have 15 tanks and they all need their maint.

I have not seen any problems with the fish that could be attributed to water quality and my losses from non-accidental cause have been minimal.

I had a filter mishap which resulted in about 15 fry ending up inside a Hot Magnum and I lost 8. I have killed 3 accidentally when netting and just this week had a contaminant get into one tank when the maid was cleaning which killed 9 of 18 fish in the 10 gal.

I have also lost 2 of the 13 breeders over the past 15 months- one I found floating belly up and the other just vanished. I think it swam out of the tank when I accidentally overlowed it on refilling. I was never sure as it is an inwall tank and I cant see/get behind it.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

I change 10-20 % every 2 weeks, may not be what others do, but mine have not really stopped spawning for a couple years. 8) Once they start its hard to stop them. :shock:
DanD
Groupie

Post by DanD »

I have 5 tanks currently and each varies a little. I do all my weekly changes Saturday mornings

30 gallon pleco tank: 2-3 gallon change daily from siphoning out poop + 33% (10 gallon) change weekly

20 gallon zeb tank: .5-1 gallon change daily siphoning out poop/uneaten food + 25% (5 gallon) change weekly

15 gallon heavily planted tank: 33% (5 gallon) weekly

20 gallon community: 50% (10 gallon) weekly

50 gallon cichlid tank: 30% (15 gallon) weekly

Every tank has two filters (hob + sponge), I clean hob one week and sponge the next alternating every week
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

Once a week about 50%
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]