elastic bands ok for a fish tank???

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

elastic bands ok for a fish tank???

Post by andrewcoxon »

hi guys,

some of my eggs must of begun to hatch and tonight a little wriggler has been kicked out. i rescued it to a floating tank and iv got a pipe direct from my fluval pumping freshly filtered water in. however i need to use an elastic band to fix the piping to the front of the filter, its in the water and i want to know if its safe and not going to contaminate the water.

thank you!

andrew
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

You when say an elastic band, would that be the same things as a rubber band? Sometimes an elastic band can be those you use to tie hair away from your face.

If you know the rubber band is new and clean, then it should be okay to use in your tank. Sometimes you can use a string or you can use plastic zip ties and a lettuce clip (you can smooth the plastic zip tie down with a nail file).

- Angela
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

yeah rubber bands is the same thing.

so it should be ok then?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Did you open a new pack of rubber bands just today? They do have a slightly chemical smell when fresh and would make me cautious on using them right from a fresh bag. If they're from an opened pack that has aired out, then I would say it would be okay...

Wait.. just reread your post. The rubber band is holding your piping from your fluval filter... it's not in the tank right?
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

well yeah it kind of is in the tank.... the tubing is tied onto the front of my internal fluval with the band.

its not brand new but its clean.
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Then it should be fine. It will eventually deteriorate and break off when they're left in the tank for too long (like over a month). Just keep an eye on the wriggler.

Do you have some moss or something to give it some shade but yet gives you a good view to keep an eye on it?

- Angela
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

Andrew
I've used rubber bands in the past & they haven't had any ill effects on the fish. :)
Lucy <><
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've used rubber bands too, and as long as there's no chanse the fish could get entangled in it there's no danger in my experience.

Beware though, as catfish can entangle themselves in the most unbeliveable ways!
So.. yes, safe to use in my experience, but be careful how you use them! Don't tie a fern to a root using a rubber band for instance. no contamination problems as I know of though.
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I only caution possible contamination because of the strong smell when you open a fresh bag/box of rubber bands. It a smell causes me to wooz... then I'm cautious to use them in my tank... that's just my opinion tho :)

- Angela
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

There are some rubber that really smell bad. I remember denying my boy rubber toys that smelled really toxic.... The ones we have here don't smell, but if yours do then I would back NetsuaiAngel up and wouldn't put them in my tank either!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Rubber bands in a tank eventually lose their elasticity and will eventually break up. they are not usefull longer term. A nylon wire tie would be more appropriate.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That's true TTT, but OP needed advice to last for 20 days :wink: I've used them to hold fry traps in place for the period of time it needed to be there :)
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

There may be another option too... in my LFS I found these suction cups that have a rubber ring attached as one piece. The ring is flexible and may be twisted to accommodate the tubing for the floating tank.

The suction cups are usually used to hold down airline tubing... but I bought a bunch to use to secure a fine mesh bag over my powerheads to avoid getting snails and/or any possible fish to be sucked into the small slits. They work great because I can position the power heads horizontal and keep them less as an eyesore in the tank.

- Angela