I think I have a pair

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
TwoTankAmin

I think I have a pair

Post by TwoTankAmin »

When it comes to the zebra breeding colony, nothing much exciting has been happening with the zebs in some time. I still have lots of fry growing out and have done nothing to get the colony going again since space is tight for growout.

However, I just saw something very interesting. When I got the breeding group last year, I parked the two zebras I already had in the 25 gal where I have a discus duo. I had photgraphed them back then and it was my feeling that they were a male and a female. However, this could not be confirmed from the pics when I showed them to folks much more skilled than I at sexing them.

Anyhow, I was just coming from the bathroom where that tank was and I glanced at the tank to see how the zebs were doing. One was at the front of the cave, blocking the entrance and the other was not in its normal spot along the left side of the cave under the rock overhang. So I ran for my glasses and flashlight.

To my surprise, the second zebra was at the back of the cave. Now this is typical spawning behavior- the male traps the female til she gives up some eggs or they stop trying. There were no eggs I could see, but this is very encouraging behavior. Could it be that I was correct in my assessment that they are indeed a duo? I have had these guys about 3 years now and they were a scant 1.5 inches when I got them. Have they finally matured to spawning age? Are they a duo? Will there be a spawn?

Stay tuned to the same bat thread and any news will be forthcoming.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They should be old enough to spawn, and it has happened with nly two fish together before! Looks like you might have a good chanse of getting even more babies :wink:

Good luck, and looking forward to hearing what happens next!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Unfortunately nothing happened. Today there is one fish in the cave and no sign of eggs :(
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They might have had a test run. keep an eye on them :)