a bit of a problem.... need some advice!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

a bit of a problem.... need some advice!

Post by andrewcoxon »

hi guys,

as i speak my big males got a female trapped in his cave but im worried about my other male. recently he's been taking quite a few beatings and he never gets the chance to recouperate.... but im worried if i move him they will stop spawning because iv upset the balance.

in the tank iv got the 2 big males (however the real boss is still quite bigger than the once who's getting beat on) and a slightly younger male who seems to keep out of it in the far left of my tank in his cave. the female and a younger fish thats looking female also.

i want to know if its a good idea to move the injured male after this current spawning attempt to my other group which consists of younger fish just reaching sexual maturity (both looking female and getting quite fat i might add) where he will have a more peacefull life and perhaps get a chance to breed as he will be alpha.

or will it just make everything stop spawning!?

answers on a postcard plz.....
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How badly beaten is he? If it's bad, and he never gets any rest I'd move him. It might, as you say, upset the hierachy, and the alpha might need the sub male, but if it's bad I would move still move him. He might be the alpha for your other females :)

If it stops your alpha, which I have a feeling it wont, as it sounds like he's on a roll, you could always move the sub dominant back after he's recuperated.

(I'm not familiar with the expression "answers on a postcard plz", what does it mean?)
ZebMan
Groupie

Post by ZebMan »

I think that expression is like "Short and Sweet", although I have never heard of it before either. :D
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Andrew

I agree with McEve, remove the male just after the spawn. Whilst the male is in the cave with the female, the sub-alpha male is not threatened, but any interference, (like chasing a fish around a a tank) could interupt the spawning process.

In all reality I doubt if removing the male will discourage the pair from spawning in the long-run. Believe it or not Zebras do appear to be relaitvely fussy individuals. i.e. you can have a male & female in a tank for moths with no "action", then swap the males and you get a spawn. i.e. they are either interested in each other or they are not. If the female sees the current male as a proposed mate then this should continue irrespective of whether there is an sub-dominant male present or not.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

thanks guys,

il remove him once the eggs are laid this time then.
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
John

Re: a bit of a problem.... need some advice!

Post by John »

andrewcoxon wrote:answers on a postcard plz.....
What's your adress andrew? :lol:

andrewcoxon wrote:il remove him once the eggs are laid this time then.
Dang, just bought a postcard and that's what i wanted to write you :lol:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]